Pressurized water tank, pressure gauge problem

Users who are viewing this thread

geny725

Reaction score
hello there

my 4 year old pressurized water tank has a cut in cut out rate of 40-70psi.
lately the water pressure in the house has been lower, or perhaps it could be the volume? or both? i cant tell the difference.
then i discovered that when someone uses the shower, the pressure gauge kicks in from 40psi to only 60psi and gets stuck there! it only goes back down to 40psi when the shower is turned off.

but if you use a sink, the pressure gauge runs regularly from 40 to 70, then goes back down slowly, then back again to 40-70

Please help. I asked a plumber and i was only told that the pipes are clogged!!

Thank you!!!!!

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Make sure the air charge in the tank is set at 2lbs below pressure switch cut in pressure. Then check the line and or connection to the pressure switch and the inlet to the pressure switch for crud that may have built up in there. If all that checks out, then the problem is further down the line so to speak

geny725

Reaction score
thanks peter!! but today i had the pressure switch changed, and it's still the same thing! but now it gets stuck at 55psi! (compared to previous 60), air charge seems correct, so is everything else...even checked the foot valve, it's also working ok...
perhaps the problem is in the buried pipes???? is that what you mean?
pls anyone that can help me with this! i'm at wit's end!!

thank you!!!!!

geny725

Reaction score
i was told that the gauge depends on the switch...apparently it has NOTHING to do with the water problem according to the expert
since the switch was replaced, im still having the same problem...are you suggesting maybe i should also change the gauge?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The switch turns the pump on and off.

If the gauge is faulty, no one knows for sure what the water pressure is at any given time.
The gauge might be correct, but unless you have a way to test it, the only way to know for sure is to compare it with a "known good" one.

To step back a bit, lets be clear about what you believe is a problem-
From what you have stated the pressure is dropping when NO water is being used.

Also, how did you test the foot valve?

RayMan

Shared Well Services
Reaction score
when someone uses the shower, the pressure gauge kicks in from 40psi to only 60psi and gets stuck there! it only goes back down to 40psi when the shower is turned off.

but if you use a sink, the pressure gauge runs regularly from 40 to 70, then goes back down slowly, then back again to 40-70

Is the shower demanding such a large amount of water that the pump can't get the pressure tank up to 70 psi when someone is in the shower? Does the pump cut out when the gauge is stuck at 60 psi or does the pump continue to run in order to keep up with the demand from the shower? You may need a small storage tank to keep up with the shower demand or maybe a more water restrictive shower head would help.

geny725

Reaction score
Rayman! you understand me best! basically when someone uses the shower, the gauge goes from 40psi up to 60psi and GETS STUCK THERE at 60! and the pump keeps on running while it's stuck at 60psi
it only goes back down to 40spi when you shut off the shower...it never reaches the cut out 70psi either!
it has never happend before, and i have replaced switch and gauge. the plumber cant tell either what is wrong anymore.
he suggested replacing the tank and the pump.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The problem is that you need a well/pump man instead of a plumber. If the pressure is dropping after the water is turned off, you have a leak. The leak could be the foot valve or the piping.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks