Under Cabinet Lighting Suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

Coopns

Reaction score
Currently have kitchen light mounted under cabinets, one side doesn't work. I would like to replace with a new light that could bend at a 90 degree so it would continue under the other cabinets...on the other wall. So what I would like is a flexible under cabinet light. Is there a specific brand/type I should look for, some recommendations.

Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I put in a mini-track, low-voltage system. You can cut the track to any length you want, and the jumper connectors are just wire in between (zip cord), so you can wrap around corners. You have to find a place to mount the transformer, which could be an issue. I've also got mine on a wall switch dimmer, so I can adjust them. Depending on whether you get a magnetic or electronic transformer, will dictate the type of dimmer you choose (and they can be expensive). The bottom of my cabinets has a rim, and the track plus low-profile lamp holder is barely below that rim. You can't see the lamp while standing, and isn't obtrusive when sitting.

Bsperr

Reaction score
+1 to Jim's suggestion. I've heard good things about the "linear" system from WAC lighting, and I plan to use it in my upcoming remodel.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I used LED Strip Lighting from elementalled.com, replacing older hockey-puck halogen lighting. These strips have LEDs every 0.65" along 0.3"-wide flexible strips, consume only 1.44W per foot, and look spectacular. They're low voltage (12V) and dimmable, available in several colors other than the "warm white" (3000k) that I used. I routed a 5/16" wide by 1/8" deep groove in the bottom of the cabinets, and glued the (self-adhesive) strips in. Corners are a little tricky, because the strips, while flexible lengthwise, don't bend around corners in the plane of the strip. But you can splice strips together in any configuration by soldering jumpers across the joined strips, and power up to 32.5 feet with one power supply. Very versatile, very attractive, and unfortunately pretty pricey, but I'm using them in lots of applications -- under-cabinet, above-shelf, cove, etc. They'd also work pretty good underneath a street-rod, but that's beyond the scope of this forum, I guess.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks