90 degree bend in sewer drain pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

jim916

Reaction score
Hi,
Hopefully someone can help me with this question. What I did was just move the drain pipe over 12" from the original layout and add a drain for the laundry room. The question is can I do this with a 90 degree bend in the corners? The back corner against the wall matches the original layout with a 90 degree corner. The front was at 45 degree, but with moving it over I put in a 90 degree corner. I read in the Minnesota plumbing codes that a change of direction has to be a 45 degree bend.
Will this pass inspection at the 2 90 degree turns?

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Attachments

• drain pipe.jpg
    drain pipe.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 13,779

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
turns

Here, a long sweep 90 is approved, it does not have to be 45's, but we would have to have a cleanout somewhere between the two 90's. It is hard to tell whether you have standard 1/4 bends, (90's), or long sweep ones. But in any case, I would have tried to simplify the installation so it would be more of a straight line.

jim916

Reaction score
Thanks for for replies. Here is a little more detail. The green shows what the builder put in in 1995. It must have passed inspection then right?
I moved it to give me more room in the bathroom, and to add a drain in the laundry room.
the second one shows it with two 45 degree bends on the lower edge. Will this be better, or do I neeed to put two 45 degree bends on the top also?

Attachments

• drain.pdf
    36.5 KB · Views: 2,401
  • drain2.pdf
    34.8 KB · Views: 1,454

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Green shows a toilet with a laundry tray wet vented over it.

The additions show plumbing that would not pass inspections.
The floor drain should have it's own vent.
The reason for the vents, is to prevent the traps from siphoning when other plumbing is used.
For that matter, it also prevents siphoning when "they" are used also.

The reason you "don't" want the traps to siphon, is the smell you get in your home.

jim916

Reaction score
The pipe leading to the floor drain is a 2" pipe. Can I vent this to a 1 1/2" pipe?
With the drain being vented, does everything else look ok? 90 degree corners?

Thanks,

Jim

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The 2" floor drain, sink and laundry tray can be vented with a 1.5" vent.
The toilet should have a 2" vent.
Vents can be tied together at 42" above the floor.

You should have, as hj mentioned, a cleanout for the 3" line.
Every 135% of change after the vent should have a cleanout.

That's why as plumbers, we work like the dickens to keep all directional changes to a minimum.

Dubldare

Plumber/Gasfitter
Reaction score
Minnesota does allow that a floor drain need not be individually vented as long as it connects to a vented main/branch within 25'.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks