Question about a slip fit type plumbing connection, are they safe?

Users who are viewing this thread

jonjonbear

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am installing a Kenmore Elite central home water filter system. In the book it shows and optional set of flexible stainless steel lines to make the installation easier. I went to sears, and after the shock of the price I bought them. On one end is a large threaded connection which connects to the water outlets on the filter, but on the other end are large slip fit connections which are designed to just push onto the copper pipe. These will be installed in the incoming line to my water softener. I have seen this sort of connector in much smaller sizes on under sink water filters and the like but never this large. This is for a 1" copper line. It appears to have a plastic ferrel or something like that you push back if you want to remove it. Since all the water in my home will be passing through this, I just wanted to see if these type of connections are reliable for this? I can't imagine that they would make them if they were not, but who knows. What is the proper term for this type of connection?

Thanks so much,

John

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Jon I don't know what to tell you. The slip end is a "sharkbite" type fitting with an O ring in there and a SS ring that keeps it from slipping off the pipe. These types of connections are everywhere these days and they are code approved. IMO they have not been around long enough to give a definitive answer as to the longevity of them. Since you already bought them though, you may as well give them a try. I'm sure they will be fine. Make sure you clean the pipe and de-burr the end before pushing the connector on. So I take it you gave up on recycling your old tank and valve?

jonjonbear

Reaction score
Thanks Peter, just didn't know what to think of all my house water going through a slip fitting. This will be connected to the softener to further filter the water before it enters it and to remove the chlorine smell.
You mean my softener? Oh no, this is a separate deal. Still looking forward to getting the softener dialed in correctly. Just replaced the brine tank, so nice not to have that leaking now.

Thanks again,
John
BTW the fitting says "Sea-Tech" on the side, if that means anything.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks