Re-Using a Rough-In Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

98ZJUSMC

Reaction score
I have the below Rough-In Valve:

picture.php

Not sure the manufacturer. There was an original construction manila tag wrapped on it referencing Kohler, but I think that was the original faucets and spigots. If I keep the same two handle set up, is it necessary to replace this? It seems in really good shape and didn't leak. These puppies can cost up to 400 bucks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Trim kits only work with the original manufacturer's valves, and with Kohler, you never know if they even make any trim that would fit and older valve. So, the answer is maybe, but most would probably recommend you upgrade it to one that: you can get parts for, that isn't Kohler, you like the trim available, and meets today's anti-scald technology requirements. That last issue, if it isn't in the existing valve, could be the deal breaker if you are going to get this inspected, or want an easy sale in the future.

98ZJUSMC

Reaction score
Thanks, Jim. I replaced one of the stem valves about ten years ago and it was a bit of a booger to find. I was thinking that the threads were fairly standard, so new stem valves matching the new spigots would work. I guess I can take it in and monkey around with the stems they have on hand. If not, ..... buh-bye.

So, nobody likes Kohler, huh? Figures that that is what they installed in my house.........&$@@&*%$# !!

If I could find the original architect and builder, (probably Mr. Haney) I may go to jail for assault.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Kohler is good on style (if you like it), but they seem to have NIH (not invented here) syndrom...every design seems to be unique, and thus their parts catalog is more like a big city phone book rather than something managable. This means finding parts, even from the factory, can be a problem And, some of their stuff seems just Rube Goldbergish. My personal experience is limited, but I've not been impressed.

98ZJUSMC

Reaction score
Yeah...if I was still in the Chicago area, I would probably be in good shape. Down here in S. Illinois we usually have to whittle 'em ourselves and hope they work. :D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks