Closet flange issue and rambit

Users who are viewing this thread

CharlieM

Reaction score
Hello,

I will be tiling a bathroom floor - raising the height approx 1" above the subfloor and need to deal with the toilet flange height.

Current toilet flange arrangement is fastened to the subfloor. The 3" ABS flange is an inside glue into the "bell" of an ABS street elbow. I can't tell if it is a 90 or 60. At any rate, there is no room to inside cut the pipe; remove flange; install coupling; and install a new flange. Finished ceiling below.

I am considering using flange extender of some sort, but would prefer to replace the flange at the proper height.

I found a tool called a rambit (wheeling pipehog) that claims to be able to drill out a fitting so a new fitting can be installed. If I could drill out the current flange, I could replace it with a longer one.

Having never seen or used something like this rambit tool, I'm looking for feedback about it ?

Thanks.
Charlie

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The RamBit will is the size of the street elbow, not the inserted flange. They do not make tools the size of the pipe's interior, just its o.d. so you can remove a pipe from a fitting. If it were a hub elbow with a spigot flange into it, the RamBit would work, because the spigot WOULD be "pipe size". You have to remove the flange by some other means, and it might be safer to call a plumber who MIGHT be able to do it without damaging the street elbow.

reed-pipe-reamer-2.jpg

Reed Pipe Reamer, and Ram-Bit

Last edited by a moderator:

CharlieM

Reaction score
Thanks HJ,

Sorry, my terminology is probably mangled. I think we may be talking about the same thing.

The flange is glued into the inside of what you are describing as the "hub" end of the elbow. I looked up "spigot flange", and that is the situation I have.

The OD of the flange sits inside the hub which I think would make the OD of the flange the same size as the OD of the pipe. Is that the scenario you are describing ?

My plumber looked at it and wasn't very confident he could remove the flange without damaging the elbow. He made the comment about a tool that could possibly drill out the flange, but he didn't have one and has never used one. He is a very good plumber.

So, I went looking around and found the rambit, and wanted to find some feedback from anyone that has used one. Effective to use, etc ?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks