(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Check Valve Problem - I think?

DIY Junior Member

Default Check Valve Problem - I think?

I installed a high quality check valve near the base of my sump pump - its not one of those flapper check valves. It worked perfectly. Really quite, no backflow at all. Then, I installed a battery backup pump and I used the same style check valve near the base of that pump. Now, when the main pump shuts off, its like I have no check valves at all. The whole system gurgles and you hear water and air moving back through the pipes. I tried multiple positions for the check valves, and nothing helps at all. If I disconnect the battery back up and plug the pipe, everything is fine - no noise at all.

What could cause this. Its not a faulty check valve, because I've tried several of them and it makes no difference. Any ideas on this?

Thanks.

Test, Don't Guess! cacher_chick's Avatar

Hard to say without seeing it... posting a picture of your installation might help.

Quote Originally Posted by lbk View Post
    I installed a high quality check valve near the base of my sump pump - its not one of those flapper check valves. It worked perfectly. Really quite, no backflow at all. Then, I installed a battery backup pump and I used the same style check valve near the base of that pump. Now, when the main pump shuts off, its like I have no check valves at all. The whole system gurgles and you hear water and air moving back through the pipes. I tried multiple positions for the check valves, and nothing helps at all. If I disconnect the battery back up and plug the pipe, everything is fine - no noise at all.

What could cause this. Its not a faulty check valve, because I've tried several of them and it makes no difference. Any ideas on this?

Thanks.
    I have the same problem. Did you drill in a small hole in the discharge pipe just above the main pump and below the check valve. I did and that still didn't help. Wonder if you need another hole on the backup pump?

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

Are you sharing one outlet pipe?

One pipe for each pump that y into a common discharge pipe.

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

Do a search for Zoeller sump pump installation diagram. Find it in PDF. The check valves should be designed for sump pumps and above the basin. The 3/16 hole should be drilled about even with the pumps "top", and kept open.

Describe this high quality check valve you have. Take a look at Dean Bennet supply for a good look at a Zoeller check valve.