Hot Water Dispenser Leaks

Users who are viewing this thread

JK60

Engineer
Reaction score
I have an ISE H-990 hot water dispenser that started leaking. The leak is coming from the seal between the stainless steel tank (model SST) and the plastic fitting attached to the top of the tank. The tank is a two piece unit, so after dis-assembly there is accessibility to both sides of the plastic fitting. Unfortunately it is an adhesive bonded fitting with no way to tighten it down to the tank. The fitting needs to be replaced. Initially I was going to replace it with a brass bulkhead fitting, but I have some concerns because some brass fittings have minute traces of lead, and the fitting will be in contact with water at 190 deg. F. Another option is a stainless steel bulkhead fitting, but I am having problems locating these. My question is, are my concerns relative to the lead issue in the brass fittings valid and if so does anyone have a source for Stainless Steel bulkhead fittings? The size I need is 1/8†pipe bulkhead fitting. The Clippard 15029-1 in brass is what I was originally looking at, and would work if I decided to go with brass. Thank you ahead of time for any information!

JK60

Engineer
Reaction score
Insinkerator is the manufacturer of the hot water dispenser. I did the installation. It is a fairly simple job. The tank is 2 years old (2/3 gallon), and is still under warranty, so I am getting a replacement tank from ISE. I would like to fix the leak in the original tank and use it as a spare. I've owned quite a few ISE hot water dispensers and they typically have a 1 - 4 year lifetime. My own lifetime numbers are corroborated by online reviews of this item, so having a spare tank is a good idea. I would like to add, that other then the leak, the condition of the tank is very good. It is definitely worth salvaging. The new replacement tank will only have a 9 month warranty on it, which is the time left on my original warranty of 3 years. To buy a replacement tank is about $200.00.

Last edited:

JK60

Engineer
Reaction score
So just to paraphrase this again. I would like to get either a stainless steel or lead free brass bulkhead fitting for my ISE tank. The size I need is 1/8” pipe bulkhead fitting with about a 3/4-20 OD for the threaded port that goes through the tank. Does anyone know of a source for these? Thank you ahead of time for any information!

JK60

Engineer
Reaction score
The tank is held to a cabinet wall with two screws. There are three quick disconnect lines going from the faucet to the top of the tank. That is all there is to it. I have no problem calling a professional if a repair is beyond my capabilities, but the tank replacement in this case is way too simple and does not justify the expense of calling a plumber.

I enjoy repairing things, so even though I got a replacement tank, I ended up fixing the original. I could not find lead free or stainless steel fittings on line so took a chance and went to Home Depot to see if I could kluge something that would do the job. Home depot had a collection of Watts lead free fittings, but did not have a bulkhead fitting that I was looking for. They also did not have lead free brass nuts for the inside of the tank. So I improvised using three lead free fittings that I bought which were as follows:

MIP to FIP pipe bushing 3/8" x 1/4"
Female pipe cap 3/8":
Brass barb to MIP Adapter 1/4"

To make a bulkhead fitting I fabricated a copper plate (1" x 1") from copper pipe. Drilled required size hole in plate, and soldered plate to the MIP to FIP bushing to form a bulkhead fitting.

Placed gasket under plate and inserted assembly into the tank after enlarging the hole in the tank to the required size to accommodate the 3/8" MIP portion of MIP to FIP bushing ~.625".

Drilled hole into the female pipe cap to allow water flow out of the tank, and screwed it to the MIP side of the MIP to FIP bushing on the inside of the tank.

Screwed brass barb into the FIP side of the MIP to FIP bushing.

Installed tank and everything works like a charm. Here is a drawing of my repair.

https://terrylove.com/forums/images/attach/png.gif

Attachments

• ISE Repair JPG..png
    ISE Repair JPG..png
    15.5 KB · Views: 887
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks