Universal rough in valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

Andrew21

Reaction score
Hey all,

I was looking into this Delta shower fixture:

http://www.deltafaucet.com/bath/details/T17T455.html

and one site it said that I needed a universal rough in valve.

Now I have a question. Do I need this to complete the plumbing rough in? I had a co-op and had a plumber put one in like this before but I do not remember buying the universal rough in valve. Now I have a house and before I buy this online, I wanted to know if I needed this. Last time I purchased this at the big orange box. Thank you!

Andrew

Last edited:

Andrew21

Reaction score
Oh forget it. Most sites I see any showerhead, you have to buy the valve. Is this something new?

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
What you listed there is the trim kit which goes on the rough-in valve (shower valve) after you have boarded the walls up.

If the shower-valve you have now won't accept that trim kit then yes you will need to change the shower-vavle to one that will accept that trim kit.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
universal

In the 'old days" Delta had more than one body model for its various designs. Now there is one body, called a "universal" one, and the trim kits come with any adapters needed to make the trim fit the valve. If you have a Delta shower valve installed, then it is probably the correct one. If you are in the planning stages, then it depends on the model valve you buy, and where you buy it, whether you have to buy the body separately or not.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The big box stores typically sell a kit which contains both the valve and the trim and may include a tub spout and showerhead. Plumbing supply stores often sell it as two or more separate packages: rough-in, and trim kit, spout, showerhead, etc. The rough-in valve may work with numerous trims, but that is not always the case the other way. In any case, the trim and the valve must be compatible and that always at a minimum requires the same brand (well, there may be a few exceptions, but they are exceptions, not the rule).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks