Sump pump battery backup?

Users who are viewing this thread

adamw

Reaction score
Is there such a thing as a battery backup for a regular sump pump? In other words, I want to plug my existing A/C pump into a battery backup (or UPS) and then plug the battery back up into the A/C line.

I know there are battery backup sump pumps that can be used along side a regular pump that will kick in during a power failure, but I don't want to have install anything in the pit, or run new lines.

Thanks!

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
They do make a UPS unit that would support a sump pump. They use them in major data center and like facilities. Seeing that they cost thousands of dollars, it would be more effective and cost efficient to install a backup generator.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I would recommend APC for a UPS and get one that has a rating to run the pump as long as your projected Power Outage.

They have a model that will fit your needs, but can get expensive.

Have a Great day.

DonL

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I would hope the OP has solved last years problem by now....

Someone needed to drop a spam link to their blog and revived an old thread....

DonL

Reaction score
Yes, I think that someone came across the old post, and just posted some input.

APC is still the best, With a 2 Year warranty, and computer USB interface for sending Email alerts.

Don't get much better than that...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A UPS big enough to run a decent sized pump long enough to make a difference during a power outage costs way more than a dedicated new battery backup pump system. the only advantage is the UPS only takes a few seconds to install: unplug the cord, plug in the cord of the ups, then plug the pump's cord into the ups. The batteries don't last forever, and if you don't monitor them, neither will work, but the dedicated battery backed up pump system's batteries are probably cheaper to replace. And, with the way most people do maintenance, the batteries will have maybe a few minutes left in them when the need arises, and you lost all your backup.

Agreed that APC makes good stuff, but to run a 1/2-1Hp pump for awhile means much more than the typical UPS you might put on your computer. Those are designed to let it run for a bit, then gracefully turn the computer off. Needing longer-term (maybe) constant power means MUCH more money. ANd, some motors don't like the square waves or stepped waves, and a true sine-wave version is again, LOTS more expensive.

Reaction score
Website
www.atlantic-mechanical.com
I wouldn't advise installing a sump pump battery backup, unless it is for a large commercial building. Otherwise, the costs associated would outweigh the benefits you get.

That's just my opinion, but I don't do too much sump pump work.

DonL

Reaction score
I think if I needed a battery backup system for a sump pump, then I would use one of the Flotec 1/6 HP pumps, if it had enough flow rate.

That would be around 125 watts and a APC computer UPS could run it for a while, and send a text message that it is on battery backup, If needed. Modified square wave should work and start current should not be a problem.

I would not try to run a 1 HP pump, on batteries.

Lead Acid backup Batteries have to be replace every Two years, or all effort is useless.

Enjoy the day, take time to play.

DonL

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I would go with the Zoeller Aquanot II with the AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) Deep Cycle Battery.

The pump performance curve closely matches the output of the Zoeller M-53 which is probably one of the most commonly used sump pumps in this country, and users can expect 4 years of service life out of the battery with low maintenance. For longer run times you can wire in additional batteries, and in the event of a longer duration power outage recharge them off your car. The Aquanot II will provide the same pumping capacity as your main sump pump.

Last edited:

holowinko

Reaction score
Look into an 8D deep cycle marine battery - I sell these as an option with the battery back up systems I install.

Bulldog Plumbing

Reaction score
sump pro

sump pro is exactly the answer you are looking for, however i would, for my money, go with a phcc 2400 to get the peace of mind in having 2 pumps in the pit .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks