Clogging Gerber Toilets

Users who are viewing this thread

Meek

Reaction score
Hello - first post here. My house was built in 2004, we bought it in 2007. It has three bathrooms with similar Gerber toilets. All three clog frequently. I looked for a model number, and only saw Gerber on the inside of the tank. The date on the inside of the tank is '04. It is also difficult to plunge, I bought every plunger at walmart and only got the generic plunger to work, and that is if I invert the plunger - push it in until the edges pop up. The bottom of the bowl is square, which is why I believe it is difficult to plunge. I think I'd be comfortable taking them off, but what should I do when I get it off? With the current symptoms, does it appear to be a full house problem? What more information is needed? I appreciate any help - thanks for your patience.

Jc60618

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Throw away the plunger and get yourself a ridgid closet auger which goes for about $30. If there is a clog on the trap way the auger will push out or retrive it. If you still cant clear it with the auger, you might have to remove it and see if there is any obstruction on the flange or bottom outlet of the toilet. I have often found that wax rings with a horn cause a lot of back ups. So before you do anything get your self an auger.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The auger may help, but the basic problem is Gerber is another lousy toilet and never will perform really well. You might want to consider phasing them out and getting Totos to replace them.

jay_wat

Plumber
Reaction score
i agree with Gary,, those toilets are a pain in the rear! if you get a toilet auger,,you will still have crappy toilets,,save yourself the pain and look into getting new toilets.

Meek

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! I have a snake / auger, but it's never solved the problem for longer than a week. Since each toilet has the issue, and I don't think the house plumbing does, I'm going to start pricing new toilets.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Be aware that the famous old name brands are not what they used to be. Many of them have merged and gone to foreign owners, and their quality has not improved much. The Toto line is the gold standard in the industry. While you may find cheaper ones at Big Box Stores, these are mostly builder specials which is likely what you already have. Toto is not available in discount stores.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks