Leaking outdoor faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

coachjerry

Reaction score
I have a 30+ year old Mansfield frostproof outdoor faucet which is slowly dripping. I was able to remove the rusty screw which held the blue handle on to the valve, but have been unable to remove the handle. I have only about 2 inches between the back of the handle and the outside wall of the house and have tried pulling, prying, twisting, and cussing...all to no avail. The handle wiggles in place but won't move off the valve stem.

I've used WD 40, tapped it, and cussed some more...still no success.
Any ideas?

Coachjerry

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'd suggest you consider just replacing the valve with a new one. This old fellah has served his time. You will need to work from the inside where the faucet connects to the water supply line. You'll need 2 wrenches working opposite directions to keep from twisting the supply line connection. For what it's worth, WD40 is not a good penetrating oil.

coachjerry

Reaction score
Thanks Gary

Thanks Gary, I'll consider replacing it. Thanks for the WD40 tip too. I've always used it as a penetrating oil with good results. Do you have a specific recommendation that's better?

Jerry

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
loose

Penetrating oil never helped me.
Depending what your working on Heat will help.
Usually it's patience and leverage that helps. Just back it up.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
I use penetrating oil all the time with good results, great for dissolving calcium or loosening up the bonnet nuts on 1300 series deltas and up. There is a product called "Free All" and it is usually around $10 a spray can, has a very strong smell to it and will probably work in your situation. I don't know where you find it but do a search on the net. I do follow the logic of replacing it, but sometimes that is difficult in some situations.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I agree with Plumber 1. I've never relied on penetrating oil on plumbing fittings. Rusty nuts/bolts perhaps, but even then I usually use a light weight oil aka sewing machine oil, and let it set for awhile. Main thing with pipes is to use two wrenches to keep the piece not being turned from twisting.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks