My toilet doesn't flush well. need help

Users who are viewing this thread

vaindioux

Reaction score
Hi

I own a 10 years old house, purchased it new. I have 2 bathrooms both upstairs. Flush mechanisms have been replaced once for each toilet.
My master's toilet will not flush correctly anymore. It does flush but it either takes 2 to 4 flushings or the plunger has to be used.
It swirls, nothing appears or sounds wrong, it just does not get the job done.

Where shall I start looking? I are not the very handy type but I do manage to fix simple things around the house when needed.

Thanks a lot

Patrick

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Most of the time, it's a collection of stuff in the lower trapway.
We sometimes can clear a trapway using a large end closet auger with a 1.3/8" end on it.

Most augers at the hardware store are 3/4".
Not real big, and sometimes they pass right by the problem without pushing it out.
If the trapway is clear, then it will flush on a single try.

auger_01.jpg

We use a closet auger with the large 1-3/8" end on it.
Smaller cables can go right by the obstruction and not move it.

auger_02.jpg

Last edited:

vaindioux

Reaction score
Terry

I got an auger from lowes and it is fairly easy to use. Unfortunately nothing came out of it, it seems the problem might be somewhere else.
I will keep at it, until it's fixed.

Thanks for the help

Patrick

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There could be any of several possibilities, but a lot would depend on the make and model of the toilets, the repair parts used to fix them, and whether the "jet" in the bottom of the bowl is plugged, (which would be my first guess).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks