Connecting pipe to new shower valve

Users who are viewing this thread

newmex999

Reaction score
I am installing a new shower valve and have the option to sweat the 1/2" copper pipe or attach the pipe to the male threaded connectors on the valve.

Which one should I go for? Sweating the pipe on or "screwing" it on

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sweat a short piece of pipe into the connectors, screw these assemblies into the valve, then use a coupler to connect to the pipes. You have a couple of extra joints to sweat, but it's best to avoid applying heat to the valve assembly.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
He has MALE connections on the valve, so the adapters would be screwed ONTO the valve. Why do that when the tubing will slip into the valve and solder to it, avoiding a threaded connection?

JOHN_P

Reaction score
I've soldered a lot of pipe in my house so far with no leaks, but can see why the threaded adaptor to pipe option might be considered. I thought of going that way too when I did mine. Why? I thought (which might be common among non-pro plumbers):

- hmmm, if I mess up the joint to the valve it's going to be a pain in the butt to undo it and if I solder to the adaptor I can always unscrew it, toss it and start over (always thinking the worst)

- threads seem to be so much more 'friendly' than soldering, only a wrench and tape is needed (though yes, you still need to solder on the pipe to the adaptor)

Without being an expert plumber, I like many others I suspect always look at every possible way of doing things and try to figure out the simplest yet most goof-proof way of doing something.

Every time I solder pipe I get nervous that I'm going to mess it up. I always take my time to do it as good as I can, have never had a leak. But when you don't do it that often, it's always "did I do it right?" "did I put in enough solder?"

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks