loosing prime

Users who are viewing this thread

Hawkeye56

Reaction score
I'm using a shalow well pump to pump from the river 100'. The pump pulls 11' high and has fair water pressure, however, I'm getting air from somewhere and loosing pressure. I'm using a sandtip point submerged in the river with a chack valve. I have one splice at 50' with four clamps. I tee'd of at the pump using the tee to fill the line and prime. Tefflon tape on all threads and double clamped at the 2" poly pipe barb. My question is, how do I trouble shoot the air problem? How can I tell if it's the connections or if it's coming from the pump? I don't really want to buy another pump if this one's good. Any suggestions??

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It's pretty much trial and error. Or aggravation and more aggravation. You go to the joints, take them apart and re fit them one by one until you find the suction leak. check the check valve first though.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Make sure your check valve is also submerged under water, and remove any additional check valves in the system. Shaving cream on the joints will show a pin hole where air is being drawn in.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Many hours spent chasing suction leaks. Time that you never get back. The shaving cream thing works well. You can also pressureize the whole line and either listen for leaks, or soap the joints.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks