(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Oh What do I do!!! Eternal, Tankless, etc...

Hybrid View

Default Oh What do I do!!! Eternal, Tankless, etc...

Help! I have 2 daughters (11 and 8 yrs old)...so they will be taking forever in the shower in a couple of years.
    I currently have a 50 gal electric water heater...just sprung a leak!! It was 7 years old.(Bradford White)

Had plumber over and 4 options.
    1) 50 gal electric Bradford White..same as now and hope it lasts longer ($850-ish)
    2) 80 gal electric Bradfrd White...if we do electric I think I want bigger than a 50 gal ($1100-ish)
    3) 50 gal Natural gas...($1600-ish)
    4) model GU145 Eternal Hybrid tankless ...(3500-ish) rebate of 1/3 next tax year

what are your thoughts!!

I would recommend that you install a 50 gallon Bradford White with either 4500w or 5500w elements and, I would test & see what your water pressure is; and, see if you are possibly in need of a pressure reducing valve. If you already have one be sure that you have an expansion tank with a proper precharge. Being that you live in a cold climate and probably not knowing what your incoming water temperature is during the winter & how hard your water is, I would stay away from the tankless. 850 for a Bradford White installed seems to me like a fair price.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Cookie; 03-11-2010 at 03:30 PM.

So you would stick to electric and NOT gas?...I am thinking gas would maybe be the best wat to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    I would recommend that you install a 50 gallon Bradford White with either 4500w or 5500w elements and, I would test & see what your water pressure is; and, see if you are possibly in need of a pressure reducing valve. If you already have one be sure that you have an expansion tank with a proper precharge. Being that you live in a cold climate and probably not knowing what your incoming water temperature is during the winter & how hard your water is, I would stay away from the tankless. 850 for a Bradford White installed seems to me like a fair price.

Good luck!

In Nebraska, everyone I know has a gas WH - I suppose it depends on the relative cost of electricity vs. natural gas in your area.

I imagine others with experience and data will chime in to help you make this decision.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveW View Post
    In Nebraska, everyone I know has a gas WH - I suppose it depends on the relative cost of electricity vs. natural gas in your area.

I imagine others with experience and data will chime in to help you make this decision.
    Yeah, a few plumbers I have talked to say that gas is by far the best efficiency.

Has anyone an opinion on the Eternal Hybrid?????

There were 6000 tankless sold in Minnesota last year, no reason not to go tankless.
    The eternal is too new and already being redesigned, made in Taiwan and unproven IMO