Framing inside basement glass block windows

Users who are viewing this thread

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I am in the process of finishing my basement and am not sure how to proceed with the window boxes. The windows are glass block which is surrounded by concrete block.

I was thinking of finishing using wood for a deep "sill" and drywall on the top and sides but am unsure as to how to frame it or deal with the transition between the concrete and the glass block given the small margins?

Any ideas will be appreciated!

Attachments

• windowBox..jpg
    windowBox..jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 78,999

JOHN_P

Reaction score
I'll snap a pic right now of how I did my basement windows. Not glass block, but exact layout as you have.

JOHN_P

Reaction score
Well, I'm stuck and can't figure out how to upload files here.

I have done exactly as you have with framing. In one area, I did drywall on the bottom and sides of the opening, left a gap so it's not touching the walls just in case water should get into the window.

In my basement office, I framed it all in nice wood. They both look really nice. Just wish I could upload the image.

OK, I think the image uploaded...

Ignore the fact that it's pretty dirty, don't use that corner of the basement often and still need to finish repainting the window.

Attachments

• CIMG1153-2..JPG
    CIMG1153-2..JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 22,601

JOHN_P

Reaction score
Here's another one.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Attachments

• CIMG1154-2..jpg
    CIMG1154-2..jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 10,288

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
Sorry to say, but both of those look pretty rough to me, JOHN_P.

I would just do a simple drywall return right into the glass block. Why you would want to leave the block exposed is beyond me. Just use some of the L edge for 1/2" drywall where it meets the glass block and call it a day.

What dimensions did you rough in that framing to? What does it match up with the cinder block?

JOHN_P

Reaction score
Thx for being honest. :)

In my case, I couldn't drywall to cover the block because it would have left too narrow a gap to open the window, but yes I could have finished it off a little nicer for sure with some thinner material.

Actually when they are clean, they look pretty nice, not perfect, but nice. :)

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
Yes, you have to work with what you've got.

In this fellows case though, he doesn't have to worry about opening the window at all.

The reason I asked what the rough in dimension is:

I would subtract 1" from width and height of the opening in the block for the framing rough in, and use 1/2" rigid foam between the block and the drywall and use the proper adhesives on that end.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I would frame around the opening, then use construction adhesive to fasten the drywall to the block, while nailing the front edge to the wood framing.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
I would frame around the opening, then use construction adhesive to fasten the drywall to the block, while nailing the front edge to the wood framing.

Thats what I was saying, but I added the 1/2" of foam between the board and the block because of condensation concerns, I don't know what sort of climate the original poster lives in though.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The glass block is a poor insulator and is occasionally wet with condensation. It probably would be best to finish the drywall short of the glass.

Thanks for the ideas guys, I think I have enough to carry on now.

Soparklion

Reaction score
I'm completing a similar project... why use drywall given the potential for moisture in this location? I was going to coat an outdoor semigloss paint on #2 pine 1x10s, and install over 1/2" R-3 Foamular. My windows are only 10 x 33" so the cost of the pine wouldn't be exorbitant. How would you finish the edge of the DW or board next to the glass block?

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
The half inch foam is a good idea as a thermal and capillary break on the pine. The performance advantage of XPS (Foamular) over cheap EPS is temporary, no matter what the "lifetime warranty" says- it'll eventually drop to R2.1 @ 1/2" , the same as Type -II EPS (1.5lbs per cubic foot nominal density.)

Leaving a 1/8"-1/4" gap from the edge of the board would allow it to be caulked with polyurethane caulk for a paintable high-reliability air & moisture seal.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks