hopfully someone can help me with this question....

Users who are viewing this thread

rbig

Reaction score
We are out in a big field. Maybe six months ago, we were planting fruit trees. We found a 6" pvc line down about a foot or so. We all wondered what it was. Promptly scooting over a bit, and finished the planting project. Today, we'd like to find that line, and see what the heck it is. Shouldn't be anything we know of. Problem is how do we find it, out in the field. This guy thinks it was by this tree, the other guy thinks it by one close by, and there is a third tree somewhere in the cone of where it might be.

We've gone there and done a lot of probling. No hits.

We can hire someone to come in and use some kind of locator. Who do we call, and what do we ask for? What kind of service can do these things?

One thing I'm going to try: I have a metal detector. I've been told some pvc pipes may have a wire thread inside. This would be easy to pick up with a metal detector. A problem is we don't know when they might have the wire inside. Ours could have been laid way back in '70s vintage. I'll give it a try next week with that idea.

I've thought about getting a trencher and cutting down at least a foot, and running it across where we feel the pipe is.

Appreciate ideas on what we should do to find that pipe (incidentally: we don't know what was in the pipe, or if anything now is).

Once we find it, we can then fine origin and terminal point fairly easy.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
See if your area has something like 'Dig Safe'. WHere I live, you are supposed to call them before you dig any holes more than x deep. if you don't, and you damage something, you are responsible for all damages and repair costs. It could be a water line, drain line, or protection for some wire or cable. You might be able to find it with a metal detector, but Dig Safe could tell you if it was a utility line of some sort. Depending on where you live, 12" isn't a lot. If that's below the frost line, who knows. Usually, that Dig Safe service is free.

Export!

DIY Member
Reaction score
Try dialing 811

That should put you in touch with the right agency locally. They will come out and mark for free I think.

rbig

Reaction score
We're a poor church. We do have lots of property. We're just trying to figure out what's going on with stuff on our own property.

811 is the state number that contractors seem to use.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The "digger's hotline" (811) is a free service that is provided by and for the utility companies. If the line is a drain tile or private drainage, they will not mark it.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The utility companies don't want their services ruined if you start digging, so if you are digging, they will mark where their stuff is for you for free. It doesn't hurt to ask them if there's anything running across that property. If there is, they will mark the location for you for free. If you then damage it, it's incompetance rather than ignorance. If not something of theirs, then it's more of a mystery. If you have a metal detecter, you could try it, but 'normal' pvc (if it is pvc) on its own won't be picked up.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Utility companies only find their lines up to their meters. PVC pipes do NOT have a metal wire inside them, but occasionally the installer will place a wire in the ditch with the plastic pipe. However, this is very uncommon for anything other than gas lines. There is NO way to trace plastic lines if there is not a trace wire.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks