2 residences one well; Pump RUNS constantly

Users who are viewing this thread

James Taylor

Reaction score
Hello forum. My name is James and I have a few questions to ask. Most recently I moved into a house that obtains water through a deep well system that stopped working after a year of living here. The system was replaced with same characteristics except the pressure tank.{100ft. well; new 1/2 horse power pump(Berkley); new avc 42gal. tank(avc is in middle of tank in the 1 1/4inch outlet, not the top 1/4inch outlet hole); new foot vave that is 25ft. below the static water level}.
The "meat" of my issue is this: The neighbors that live on the plat behind me were building their house themselves, and needed water(they have NO deep well, septic system or a registered county address). So my household allowed them to use our outside faucet to have some water through @60yards of connected hose. They then burried the long hose 4inches underground for the total length of the connection. I left the outside faucet on to be considerate of their needs at the time. Note this was to only be needed until their well was dug. It has been over 3 months. They have not begun to dig for a well, and I noticed the pump is cycling every 1minutes & 18secs. I cut off the out side faucet and not only did it not cycle for over 40minutes it held it's pressure at 50psi(set for 30/50). This let me know that something was wrong. Went next door and found out they had a leak in the hose were it connects to their house. I found out they hooked the end of the hose from my house to their house through a inlet faucet conversion that flows water through thier sinks (2 so far). They also have a splitter that has another hose on it the is draped through their bathroom window that they are using to fill their toilet bowl tank so they can flush it. But I thought how can they be flushing without a county sewage hook-up line, or a septic system. EUREKA!! At the end of our 3/4 acre property they dug a trench @ 1ft. deep, and put a big pvc pipe from under their house(near the bathroom), ran this pipe @ 40ft. and broke out a hole
in the top of our 2nd cylinder(1ft.under surface) in our septic system. Who do these people think they are? When questioned about this they say our drainfields run on their property, and if we don't want to get in trouble and to have to get them pulled up(costing $15,000) I better be cool. But every thing in my residence is up to code and on county records.
So now my pump keeps running non-stop every minute or so. The neighbor says "he has a leak and don't worry about it, deep well pumps can handle running all day, how do you think people water their lawns"? I'm confused about my rights and my newly installed pump. He is saying I should stop worrying because the pump will be fine, and if it goes up he will replace the pump.
The reason I have not cut off our outside faucet is because of what he says about the drainfeilds on his property. I don't want the fines or whatever that he is claiming.
IS THERE ANY THING I CAN DO TO STOP THE PUMP FROM CONSTANTLY RUNNING BESIDES CUTTING THE OUTSIDE FAUCET OFF? ANY MANUAL ADJUSTMENTS? ANY EQUIPMENT PARTS I CAN INSTALL? CAN MY PUMP BURN UP BEING 1/2HP AND 4 MONTHS OLD? WHERE CAN I FIND OUT ABOUT MY RIGHTS? CAN A PUMP HANDLE 2 RESIDENCES? CAN THE WELL RUN DRY BECAUSE OF CONSTANT RUNNING OF PUMP?

Speedbump

Reaction score
Is this guys last name Clampett?

I don't know about the fields being on his property, but if you bought your place and did a title search etc. If this is true, you should be able to go back on the title company.

I think this guy is just blowing smoke and if it were me, I would have cut the hose a long time ago.

Give him an inch and he'll take a mile.

If it were me, I would call code inforcement in your county. These people can't have a CO to live in that house which means they don't have power except for maybe a temporary pole for building purposes. Without a CO they can't live there. And the code folks would probably not look kindly at what is going on.

Good Luck, bob...

James Taylor

Reaction score
Did some research on guidelines and laws

Thanks alot "speedbump" on the advice. Went on line did some searching for regulations, and your advice was "on the money". Making some calls tomorrow. Will keep you posted this week. THANKS ALOT!

James Taylor

Reaction score
Turned off the well pump!

Finally I had had enough! My pump had been cycle every 48seconds{on/Off} for the last 28 hours. The pump was extremely HOT and began to click after the "cut-off" pressure was reached. I cut the discharge off to let it cool down, and hoped they would then fix their leak after informing them I had to cut the water. They never returned my message and the next day THEY PUT A FOR SALE SIGN UP. tHE FUNNY THING ABOUT IT IS THE ADDRESS THEY ARE POSTING NEVER AND STILL DOES NOT EXIST. i FOUND OUT THEIR EASEMENT WAS ASSIGNED 20YRS. AGO TO ORIGINAL OWNER, BUT THE EASEMENT IS ONLY 4MONTHS OLD. Records department does not have plat on record for having an address. They don't even have a mailbox or #'s on the house. Will keep forum posted THANKS GUYS!!
P.S.
What was the clicking noise coming from the PUMP after "cut-off" pressure was reached on the tank (Kinda' was a creeking/clicking noise 2secs. long)?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I had a situation one time while developing land where the neigbor was trying to hold me up for money to connect to his drainage that was dumping on my property.

It was his water,

Dumping on my property.

And he wanted money from me, just to connect a pipe on the edge of the lot so I could run it through my place.

I offered to call the city planners and ask them who should be paying who.
I got the permission right away.

James Taylor

Reaction score
Pump is now doing fine!

Pump has gone back to it's original status. Pressure is holding, no more clicking after "cut-off" is reached. On the rest of the situation with neighbors, they still have the FOR SALE BY OWNER sign up. CODE ENFORCEMENT has not got involved yet to my knowledge. I have seen two big white DODGE trucks pull up and park, then pull off. They pulled up in there "suppose to be easement" about twenty feet then left. Note: Guys I live on a dead-end street that has 11 houses on it . My house is the last house at the end. Their lot is behind me. Thank you TERRY and BOB big help. This forum is "gem" to us novices!

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
You would be wise to continue with the code enforcement group!

There is no way an easement gives them a right to your water, and your septic system.

Personally, it seems that you have gone above and beyond already. Turning off the water would be a given.

Keep us updated.

Paul

Marc

Reaction score
>> FOR SALE BY OWNER

Only an idiot or someone who knows what they're doing and willing to spend some money getting it right would buy a house in this condition. Hope for the latter!

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
winter is coming

as far as your water problems,
if you are in a cold climate its only a matter of time
before those hill billies have a frozen hose under the ground.
if it is only 6 inches deep

and you wont have them borrowing water anymomre.
--------------------------------------------------------------

your in the right with these clowns,
and if were me I would just shut them off

they ar centanly spitting in your face

or at least claim you got pressure problems yourself
and turn off well every so often each day.....

tell them you need repairs and you are short on cash,
if they would like to fork up some dough , the problem could be
repaired quicker........

Last edited:

James Taylor

Reaction score
Finally Some Resolve!!

Hello Forum,
It has been a while since I kept you all posted. Here it is:
1) The County Code Enforcement where I reside posted a "STOP WORK ORDER" in the paper for the "so-called" neighbors who still don't have an address! (Without any of my involvement at all)
2) They also were given a personal notice in hand!,(However the County does not know they live there with sinks, a bed etc.. The County has not been inside to my knowledge).
3) They have not had any source of water or electric to date.
4) The "FOR SALE BY OWNER" signs have been taken down!
5) State officials in white pick-ups have been seen canvassing the street where I reside several times!
6) They have been using a generator for electricity. The generator is well hid from on-lookers from the street. They block the windows with cardboard, and hide the one vehicle behind the back of the dwelling when they are there!
7) They still are living there, only after 12am do they come in. They put cardboard in the windows so you can't see the lamp and T.V..
8) Checking Court, State and County Records and Archives, these are the things that are unofficial or not registered to date:
A) their "easement"
B) their building plan & envelope
C) their electricity & water utilities
D) their "zoning" (status:non-residential)
E) No Perc testing
F) No surveys concerning their newly aquired lot since 1964.
Thank You guys for all your pro-support. My pump and well system are doing excellent since terminating the hose connection! Will post PICTURES OF THIS WHOLE EVENT showing them building their dwelling from start to finish, before and after shots, pump and tank shots, all characteristics to this event as it still unfolds!
Will keep posted!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks