No drain near softener - looking for idaes

Users who are viewing this thread

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Thanks Gary and everyone else that helped. I thought I would add to this thread rather than starting a new one since it explains most of the issues.

I now need a recomendation for a Softener. There are two and a half baths but one full bath is in a spare bedroom that is never used. It's only me and my wife here.
The units I've looked at in Home Depot and Sears have a barbed shaft for the wastewater discharge. It looks like about a 1/2" tube would fit over it. A 3/4 inch PE was recomended earlier in the thread but would I have to add a special fitting to upsize and is upsizing necessary?

I'm extra worried about getting this right because I have to pick out and buy a Softener first and have a friend come over (hopefully next weekend) and run the waste line up and through the ceiling. Once the Softener is in place I need to have a Plumber come over to cut into the main and hook up the Softener so everything needs to be in place and working.

Thanks in advance.
The Kenmore, the GE at Home Depot and the Whirlpool at Lowe's are all made by the same company and have many interchangeable parts except for the cabinets. They are not a good choice because they do don't last very long but none of them is going to work with you drain line situation. Only Clack and Fleck and some Autotrol valves will.

I suggest a correctly sized softener based on the family size, number of bathrooms and the type of fixtures in them. It should have a Clack WS-1 CS version valve. If you bought it online from me it should ship Monday and be anywhere in the lower 48 Tuesday to Friday; shipped from a warehouse in the east, midwest or west.

Tater

Reaction score
Thanks, I forgot to mention that the water in my town is horrible. Very hard and lots of lime. I will be bringing a sample in to Sears, they will test it for free and I'll post the results.
The water in this town is notorious though so I expect the worse.
Assuming it's really bad, do your recommendations still stand or do you need test results?

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
From what you have told so far a 1.5 cubic foot unit with a quality valve will do nicely for your house.
Any thing over 1.5 is over kill unless you have 5 bathrooms and 8 people.

Tater

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the term "control valve". Sorry for the rookie questions but I haven't seen that list on the units I've looked at.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
That is what Fleck , Clack, Autrol make to put on top of the media tank,
Fleck 5600 , 2510
Autrol 155, 244
Clack WS1.25
Are some of the controls that are used
They are day cleaning , meter cleaning,, meaning that every number of days they clean or meter counts down and then it cleans.

Skip Wolverton

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.servicemagic.com
The control valve is the heart of the system. It sits on top of the tank and regenerates (cleans) the resin when needed. Fleck, Clack, and Autotrol are all control valves. When we say Sears, Lowes or big box store, we are talking about the complete system but the valve is not very good and you might get only 5 yrs use out of it. I don't like electronics on softeners so I recommend the Fleck 5600 whereas others will recommend the Clack system. Either valve will give you yrs of good service. I wouldn't worry about the drain line freezing if it is done right. You can design it so there is no standing water which means it will not freeze.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Skip. I have done a few drains right out the side of the house so to speak and while the line itself does not freeze, you have to watch out that you are not creating an ice rink where the thing dumps.

Skip Wolverton

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.servicemagic.com
Skip. I have done a few drains right out the side of the house so to speak and while the line itself does not freeze, you have to watch out that you are not creating an ice rink where the thing dumps.
Oh come on. You take all the fun out of it. I was referring to a french drain with an anti siphon so no water is left in the drain line.

Tater

Reaction score
My wife is bringing a water sample to Sears tonight for testing. I'll post the results this evening.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
This should be good, wonder how many peices of equipment they are going to try and sell her...

Tater

Reaction score
2 and a half baths, but only me and the wife here. One of the full bathrooms never gets used. We both work so we are gone 10+ hours a day during the week.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
1.5 cubic foot unit, 9 lbs salt, meter at 1300 with day over ride maybe at 9 days..
That is me if the unit has an computer..
If no computer say the 2510 meter... then 1300 gallons.

Tater

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a specific model to me? The numbers in the previous post are over my head.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Fleck 2510 meter with 10x54 tank and 1.5 cubic foot of resin..

Would be my choice...

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Can anyone recommend a specific model to me? The numbers in the previous post are over my head.
I suggest my 1.5 cuft with a Clack WS-1 CS version control valve. I give my customer the programming data when they order. That programming includes the instruction of how to get into the secret dealer's side of the computer that the majority of my competitors do not give their customers.

Tater

Reaction score
I suggest my 1.5 cuft with a Clack WS-1 CS version control valve. I give my customer the programming data when they order. That programming includes the instruction of how to get into the secret dealer's side of the computer that the majority of my competitors do not give their customers.

1.5 cuft would be large enough and be able to handle the hardness level of 21? Also, would I have to buy a Clack separate and install that too? I have no idea what that is but I will google it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks