DWV Layout Critique........Bathroom & Laundry Room.

Users who are viewing this thread

spetrucco

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Just want to get the forums optinion on 2 seperate layouts.

First Pic
Laundry room with sink,
right to left

santee with 1.5" sink stub with 2inch drain down and 1.5" reducer to vent up
2" long sweep 90
2" laundry pipe to trap to wye with 2" vent vertical.
2" wye for tie in to 2" sink line.
Far left 2 pipe will turn down and transition to a 3inch (per IPC in PA ) then drop straight down to basement where it ties in to main horizontal drain.

Second pic
Bathroom toilet and double sink vanity. (fyi tub runs sperately)
From right to left

3" 90degree street for toilet flange
(to the right of the flange is the sink (5ft) not in pic)
2" wye vertical for toilet vent.
2" wye horizontaL (SLIGHTLY ABOVE) for sink tie-in.(sink is individualy vented out of pic)
Far left pipe turns 90 and drops to basement where it ties in to main horizontal drain.

FYI ....all that double studding is not to accomodate the plumbing but to contain noise.

thank you in advance for any advice.
Shawn
PA

Attachments

• washer n sink..jpg
    washer n sink..jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 6,596
  • bath overhead..jpg
    bath overhead..jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 2,623

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There is NOTHING in the first picture that is proper or "legal". What you show in the second one seems proper, but how you actually put it all together will determine whether it is or not.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You have an S trap on the laundry, and the laundry drain cannot share the waste fromt the sink.

spetrucco

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
2nd try ...laundry room

Pic#1
Shows using 2" all the way from sink to laundry to vertical drain.
Sink vent is 1.5"
Laundry vent is 2"
(lower wye on sink is a cleanout...good idea?)
Unfortunately I am under IPC and this is not legit.(2" stack)

Pic#2
Shows 2" all the way from sink to before vertical...it then changes to a 3" stack per IPC.
I assume I should swap that 2" wye on hte laundry arm for a 3"wye and insert a reducer for the 2" vent?

Question;
At what point must I convert from a 2" laundry drain to a 3"..the reason I ask is it would be much easier to convert from 2" to 3" below the floor. Would that work.

FYI This will all be inspected.

Thank You
Shawn

Attachments

• 2inch vert..jpg
    2inch vert..jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 2,056
  • 3inch vert..jpg
    3inch vert..jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 2,277

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Looks better.

If you are using a washer box the size of it and how it will be secured will need to be considered when locating the standpipe.

Is the lav vent coming back to the stack? I don't know how the IPC reads but here a 2" horizontal drain needs to be re-vented if it is over 8' long.

The sink and washer cannot both drain into 2", so your transition to 3" above the floor is appropriate.

Hopefully the IPC experts will chime in here.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It depends on your code. Here, you would not have to connect your washer drain to a 3" riser, although it your case it would make sense to do so, because we would also need a 3" cleanout above it for the larger pipe. Your 2" cleanout is a good idea, but probably irrelevent because the 2" lateral line would be very unlikely to plug up and a 2" cleanout would be useless if the 3" became obstructed.

spetrucco

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
cacher chick,
Thanks
The lav vent will loop over an tie in well above the washing machine flood point.
The 2" sink drain will be less then 8ft.

Question: Isn't a 2" drain capable of accomodating 16 max fix units (vertical) & 8 max fix units (horizontal)?
Washiing machine is 2 + sink is 2 for only 4 units.
Thank you again for your response.

spetrucco

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks HJ
Do you recommend a 3" wye fitting on the vertical section above the above the washing machine branch?
I guess I could but an access panel on the wall for it.

Dcelite

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.merchantcircle.com
Can you put the clean out under the floor or run it to the exterior of the building from under the floor? Then you don't need an access in the house which can get messy if there's a back up.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks