Basement Plumbing help please

Users who are viewing this thread

yyaassoo

Reaction score
Hello , I'm putting in new plumbing in my basement under cement slab .I have Attached drawing. Does this look right or will the wet vent from upstairs or the washing machine siphon out the floor drain ? Can you see any changes that need to be made ? Thanks for your help

Attachments

• basement plumbin&#10.jpg
    basement plumbin&#10.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 1,037

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
As you go down towards the main drain, anything that is acting as a drain is no longer a candidate to be a vent for those things below. You should run a new vent line so it can join up to the vent above the highest drain by at least 6".

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
If all those fixtures are at the same level I think you are fine (some sketches can be misleading). Is the floor drain on the same level as the washing machine (I'd assume yes since it is the basement)? Your washing machine trap (tee) looks high, make sure you'll have some fall to the trap from the washing machine box.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Florida, you must have missed the notation that the vertical line is the drain for the upstairs lavatory, which means that it CANNOT be the vent for the washer or floor drain, NOR a connection point for the sink's vent. And the washer discharge going past the floor drain's unvented connection COULD siphon it.

yyaassoo

Reaction score
Yes the clothes washer is on the same level , it has been working good the only thing im , realy changing is im puting in a floor drain , will it siphon out the floor drain ?

yyaassoo

Reaction score
Forgot to add that the line from the upstairs sink is also a vent that goes out the top of the roof .. Thanks for any help

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Florida, you must have missed the notation that the vertical line is the drain for the upstairs lavatory, which means that it CANNOT be the vent for the washer or floor drain, NOR a connection point for the sink's vent. And the washer discharge going past the floor drain's unvented connection COULD siphon it.

I guess I glossed over that. I read it as it was the vent (and vent only) for the upstairs lav.
OP, these guys are correct, if that line is a drain then in that situation it cannot be a vent.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Whether the rest of the piping is there now or not, if you have drawn it correctly, it is an "illegal" system, possibly added by a DIYer or handyman, since it would NEVER have passed an inspection, as drawn.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Well, not all newer homes. In this part of the country we hardly never put floor drains in residential homes.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Floor drains are basically a "basement thing" in residences and since basements are almost as scarce as chicken's teeth here, they are seldom a factor in sewer gas odors.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks