Multiple White and Ground Wires in Bus Bar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Molo

Reaction score
Is it OK to connect multiple whites and ground under the same screw into the bus bar on a panel?

Lightwave

Reaction score
Generally you're only allowed to do that if the manufacturer specifically allows it in the panel documentation or spec sheet.

If you're out of screw spaces you can run a pigtail inside the panel.

Jim Port

Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.manta.com
Grounded conductors need to be one per hole, no sharing.

Grounding conductors can typically share with other grounding conductors. Check the label for allowable sizes and number.

If additional spaces are needed an auxillary grounding buss bar can be added for the grounding conductors only.

Jim Port

Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.manta.com
My inspector once told me the panel is NOT a junction box and did not want "wire nuts" inside the enclosure.

Your inspector may want to review Article 312.8.

If you're out of screw spaces you can run a pigtail inside the panel.

A problem with this could occur if the wires spliced were from the same leg of the panel. The current would be additive and could overload the wire. This is why the hots need to be on opposite legs in the multi-wire branch circuit.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks