American Standard model ID?

Users who are viewing this thread

John/Charleston

Reaction score
I have a chance to pick up an American Standard 1.6 g flush toilet to replace one in a rental unit. The tank is stamped :

Standard
Made in Mexico
By American Standard

and the guy who has it says it was manufactured in 1993 and that it has a 2.25" trapway.

I gather the 4023 tank is/was used with more than one bowl. Is there a way to tell which bowl this model is?
I'm just trying to avoid replacing a lousy toilet with another lousy toilet...

Thanks,
John

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I think you might be thinking American Standard Flowise 2073.014 with 4023 tank and 3018 bowl
They started making them about two years ago.
The trapway would be about 2"
1.28 GPF

They sell them in hardware stores.

Last edited:

John/Charleston

Reaction score
Yes I found that one when I looked up the 4023# but that doesn't jive with the "manufactured in 1993" info. Do they have any that used that tank from 17 years ago?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Well.......then it's either a really old tank, with a poorly designed bowl, or it's one of the newer ones with a improved bowl, trapway 2-1/8"

Who is giving you the specs?

I wouldn't be bragging about a 1993 toilet.
As the other plumbers know, it was not a good year for toilets.
It was very common for those to be rated at 125 to 250 grams.

Last edited:

John/Charleston

Reaction score
Well.......then it's either a really old tank, with a poorly designed bowl, or it's one of the newer ones with a improved bowl, trapway 2-1/8"

Who is giving you the specs?

I wouldn't be bragging about a 1993 toilet.
As the other plumbers know, it was not a good year for toilets.
It was very common for those to be rated at 125 to 250 grams.

That's exactly the information I was looking for. I was afraid a toilet that old wouldn't be up to today's performance standards. The current owner is providing the specs. I don't know how accurate they are but he sent me a photo of the model number.
I think I'll pass and get something more up to date.

Thanks much for your help,
John

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
In my opinion, it's better than even money that this will be a dog, and you'll be wasting time and money on it. As a landlord, it seems to me that the last thing you would want to put in a rental house is a toilet that was prone to clogs.

John/Charleston

Reaction score
In my opinion, it's better than even money that this will be a dog, and you'll be wasting time and money on it. As a landlord, it seems to me that the last thing you would want to put in a rental house is a toilet that was prone to clogs.

You're right, that is the last thing I want and that's what I have now. The toilet I was looking to replace clogs at least once a week the tenant tells me. I used to live there and it didn't clog then. She has 3 kids and they've been real tough on the house. I suspect something has been put down that toilet that shouldn't have been. My thought was that I would replace it since the opportunity came up (it's a 3.5g flush) and I'd snake the line at the same time. The house is on a slab so there's no getting to the plumbing other-wise. Am I likely to need to remove the toilet to snake the line effectively? How likely is it that the clog would be inside the toilet itself rather than the line?

I was there yesterday to repair sheetrock where the kids had ripped the towel rack off the wall when I noticed yet another hole punched in the side of the fiberglass tub. This is the third hole. I'd already repaired the first two. The holes are smallish, the first two looked a bit like a hammer claw hit the tub (spaced close together) and they and this latest one are on the side wall. Mom tells me she has no idea how this is happening and that the kids only play with plastic toys in the tub. Is there any reason to think it might not be their fault? Is there any reason holes would appear in a fiberglass tub other than from a hard impact? The tub is from the mid 80's and shows some wear but there's no indication that it's been damaged like this before. I've included a pic of the first two holes.

Attachments

• P1010016..jpg
    P1010016..jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 203

John/Charleston

Reaction score
Also, now the guy with the toilet per my original post tells me he's not sure the toilet is from '93....is there any other possibilities than that it's a flowise? Do I want a 1.28 flush toilet in a rental where there's been clog problems in the past? Would the HET be more likely to clog?

Thanks,
John

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The overall design and QC on a toilet is more important than how much water it uses to flush. there are dogs on both ends of those spectrums. Toto has a good rep for both. AS does not.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks