(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Optimal PSI for house water

How old is the plumbing in your house? And what type of potable piping is it?

As long as the piping system is fairly good, I shoot for a setting of 75PSI. If you piping is old and you don't want to risk problems, you should probably stick with a nice and safe setting of 50PSI.

If it were me, I wouldn't have gone with the installation of the pressure gauge; it's something you will never look at again and it's just another likely leak point in the future...a risk that's not worth taking since external pressure valves that hook up to a hose bib connection are so readily available. But that's just my opinion. Congrats on the replacement of your PRV!
    Broken promises don't upset me. I just think, why did they believe me? -Jack Handy

www.blackbirdkitchenandbath.com

The plumbing is by no means new. I plan on going with 50 PSI, possibly 60. It is a mix of copper and brass (depending on which line). Eventualy I would like to rerun all of it, but I just don't have the time at present.

I plan on replacing the gage with a cap after I'm done adjusting the preasure.

from your answer I take it you wouldn't worry about the fact that it came set wrong? My leaning is not to care, but I'm nervouse for some reason.

Nah, I wouldn't worry at all about what the morons at the factory set your valve at. It's just an initial setting anyways...the thing was made to be adjustable! I would verify the working range of your valve before you do anything though.
    Broken promises don't upset me. I just think, why did they believe me? -Jack Handy

www.blackbirdkitchenandbath.com

the manfufactorer claims its 25 to 75. i'll move it up to 50.

I like the idea of having a pressure gauge readily accessible. When I put in my expansion tank, I also put in a boiler drain just for the purpose of screwing a pressure gauge to the hose threads. No problem with leaking - I just close the boiler valve when I'm not actually checking the pressure.