emergency advice fast

Users who are viewing this thread

Bbillcee

Reaction score
i had to pull out new kitchen cabinet for get at an old galvanized waste that failed....i got the galvanized nipple out of the threaded cast fitting and need to know if a male pvc adapter is acceptable and switch it to pvc oor should i do it back in galvanized?

i have to do this right away

JOHN_P

Reaction score
I'm no expert, but I've replaced all of the galvanized drains that went into the cast iron with the threaded PVC adaptors and was just glad to get rid of the corroding pipes. Everything has worked out well for years now. Well, except for that time I was replacing the last one and in taking out the galvanized pipe, it broke the whole outlet right out of the cast iron stack. But after repairing that big mistake (seems you avoided that one), I've never had a problem with the PVC into the cast iron.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If the PVC is just sticking out of the wall, it is okay to do it that way. But I would use a galvanized nipple and a female brass trap adapter. If it is a sideways pipe inside the wall, the be sure to support the PVC well, otherwise the male adapter may crack off.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks