Installing pedestal sink and basic information

Users who are viewing this thread

Kevz

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone knew of any good sites or even some good books to learn about all the steps to correctly install a pedestal sink and general stuff. Pictures would be nice.. I have done some plumbing in the past, run new lines and soldered plenty of joints, etc. I have however never done the finish type work in installing sinks and such.

We are remodeling our whole house and I would like to learn the correct ways to do most of the basic work myself.

Example in the bathroom we are working on, I had to move the water lines to line up for the new pedestal sink. Right now I just have the lines coming out and capped off. Would like information on installing the values, how far from the wall, installing the drain, etc.. All the basic stuff that I would just like to confirm before I start just doing what I think is right on the whole house.

Thanks for your time.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
I always rough in the water lines with the pedestal right there for me to make sure the lines look uniform staring right at it. Then I angle the valves @ 45's and use SS easy hookers to make the connections to the faucet. 360 loops look the best. As far as the drain goes I always like to jig the pop-up assembly in the pedestal and line it up to where I can easily hook to the drain coming out of the wall making sure that the drain is slightly offset to make sure I can easily hook the trap up without fighting the sweep of the tailpiece. (being too close) On the valves I use compression, I always use a small amount of teflon thread sealant on the inside of them for the piping, along with taking the entire valve apart and grease them up with plumber's grease.

Finnegan

Reaction score
As long as you get the rough in right you should be able to figure the rest out without too much trouble. Most pedestals have pretty similar rough-ins, but you should pick your model and get the specs. Most are available on-line. If you are going to open the wall you might want to add some blocking to which to attach the top. I too agree with Rugged that you might want to wait to attach the valves and trap until you are actually installing the pedestal. I would look for the newer angle valves that use ball valves rather than the ones with the plastic oval handles that break very easily.

Macska

Reaction score
The Black and Decker plumbing book has great pictures. I've seen it at HD and Lowes and online at bn.com.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks