(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Frequency of regeneration

There is no set flow rate, each valve ends up getting a different control depending on the size of the tank that it is going onto.
    Most of the time it is .25 or .50 but with this valve able to go on larger systems it can take up to the 1.0gpm.
    The 5600 or the 2510 and some of the others had a lable on the injector or brine valve assembly. I have a 7000 that is on the shelf but have not looked to see what is on it..

Most valves are shipped with a sticker on the valve body that lists the size of the brine line flow control installed in the valve. Yours may or may not have the sticker--and of course there is always the possibility that if there is a sticker it is not correct for the actual flow control that is installed.

The most commonly used brine line flow control is 0.5 gpm.

Quote Originally Posted by TWEAK View Post
    Yes I do have that manual. I will get my light and see if I can find the marking. I didn't think to look at the actual valve - I just scoured the manual and pentaire website. Thanks yet again for all the effort you've spent to help me!
    That info is not in a manual because it is specific to each valve based on the size of the softener etc. etc. so teh valve is ordered from the manufacturer .

You say you are confused about pre and post refill. The fact is that I am the only one here that has used it and a couple guys here just love to disagree with most everything I say. One is a dealer and the other is an owner of a softener etc..

With pre refill you don't have salt sitting in the water, except that in the legs of the grid, because it is below the grid except after refill during the first backwash and then sucked down below the grid during brining.

Here is a link to a comparison of pre and post refill done by a customer of mine in 2004. There is very little difference between the two and both provide more than the minimum saturation and brine strength.
    http://home.pacbell.net/seliger/softener.htm
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

And round and round it is going to go.

Both have uses or in another word.. pros and cons

When a unit does a filling of the brine tank at the start of a cleaning cycle is that unit on bypass ? is untreated water getting passed the unit and into the house? and while it waits for the 60+ minutes is that unit letting untreated water past and into the house?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slusser View Post
    You say you are confused about pre and post refill. The fact is that I am the only one here that has used it and a couple guys here just love to disagree with most everything I say. One is a dealer and the other is an owner of a softener etc..
    Gary, you are not correct when you assert that you are "the only one here that has used it" (referring to pre and post fill on a softener). You simply have no way of knowing everything that others who post here have or have not done and you should, in my opinion, refrain from making statements that you cannot support.
    Last edited by Bob999; 04-24-2010 at 07:49 AM. Reason: correct spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Akpsdvan View Post
    And round and round it is going to go.

Both have uses or in another word.. pros and cons
    So that this doesn't go round and round as you say, and since I've proved one of your stated cons of pre refill isn't right, please list the cons of both pre and post refill.

When a unit does a filling of the brine tank at the start of a cleaning cycle is that unit on bypass ? is untreated water getting passed the unit and into the house? and while it waits for the 60+ minutes is that unit letting untreated water past and into the house?
    You've previously said it was/would.

Now you're asking if it is/will.... which seems to say you don't know if it is/will. So which is it, do you know or don't you know?

Hint; some big box store brands use pre refill, you service or have serviced many of them, how many have you heard of that causing hard water by pass?

As the OP asked you and IIRC you haven't answered, why would manufacturers like Fleck and Clack have it if it causes the problems you think it does? Or, since you say there are pros to pre refill but disagree with mine, what are your pros of pre refill?

BTW, the 60+ minutes wait should be 120 minutes (2 hrs), 1 hr is not long enough in many cases.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob999 View Post
    Gary, you are not correct when you assert that you are "the only one here that has used it" (referring to pre and post fill on a softener). You simply have no way of knowing everything that others who post here have or have not done and you should, in my opinion, refrain from making statements that you cannot support.
    If I'm wrong about your experience being simply a guy with a softener Bob, it's no ones fault but your own for not stating your experience in water treatment as a dealer etc..

BTW, do you agree with AKpsdvan that both pre and post refill have pros and cons? If so, since you disagree with my list, list what you think they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slusser View Post
    If I'm wrong about your experience being simply a guy with a softener Bob, it's no ones fault but your own for not stating your experience in water treatment as a dealer etc..
    No Gary it is your fault, and your fault alone when you make up incorrect information about other posters.

Grow up and stop behaving like a spoiled teenager who has been caught his hand in the cookie jar.

Whoa, gentlemen!!

Bottom line, you're all very generous guys for taking your valuable time to explain all this. The info from all of you has helped tremendously.

Glad that you now have a better understanding of your system and the programing of it.

On the 7000 that I have there is a label on the back of the unit that shows .5gpm for the brine flow control.
    You might have that label on yours.

Yeah the industry standard is .5 gpm or 1.5 lbs per minute.

Well, here's a surprise. I looked at the back side of the head and sure enough, there is a sticker there.

BLFC - 0.125 GPM

If you go back to the first post, I commented that I use very, very little salt. I think I now understand why! The unit was running with the default, 6 minute fill... so that would be 0.125 x 6 minutes = 0.75 gallons... 2.25 pounds.

Since I need a four pound salt dose, I need 1.33 gallons of water, right?

So at BLFC - 0.125, this would take 11 minutes (gives 4.13 pounds).

Since the salt dose has apparently been low for quite a while, would you recommend that I regenerate with very high salt dose before going to the 4 pound level? Or would you just set it to 11 minutes and see how it goes?

Thanks! I'm learning!

High fives....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you have moved up another level .....

One to two extra regenerates with a little extra salt will not hurt... say do the new settings like you would like and then just add a few more gallons of water for the next one or two cycles.

.125,,,, now that is different...........

High fives....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you have moved up another level .....
    I had some great teachers!