Drain & Vent for Toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

catk9

Reaction score
I wanted to attach an image to show what issue I have. The only way I could figure out how to do it is to start a new post. I appreciate all that commented on my drawing on my previous post and I realize now that it would not work because a portion of the vent would be horizontal below the floor. The issue is, the wall of the bathroom is over the joist and as the image shows, the vent was installed into the room and 45s were used to get the vent to the center of the wall. One of the 45s is visible inside the room next to the wall. Is there a way to do this so the vent does not have to go into the room?

IMG_0066 (2)..jpg

DavidTu

Reaction score
I believe you can get a Low-heel 90 that is 3x2 and which may save some altitude; it looks to me like you are using a regular 3" combo there--I am suggesting swapping that out for a 3x2 low-heel 90. From there you can go directly into the 45s rather than first adapting down to 2". Also, can you not use a vent-90 instead of the 45s? That would also save altitude.

Careful notching the top of the joist though, you cannot notch the middle 1/3 of the joist, if I remember correctly.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
Careful notching the top of the joist though, you cannot notch the middle 1/3 of the joist, if I remember correctly.

Uhh, its the top and bottom of the joist that you should not be notching.... Why do you think TJIs can have osb between the top and bottom chords?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I HAVE notched the tops of joists countless times to allow pipes to offset over them, although to be specific, it is more like the edge is trimmed on an angle to give clearance for the pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks