The last two homes of mine had furnaces replaced.
1974, replaced in 1995
and 1978 replaced in 2006
The last one was replaced after the inspection. When I had looked at the home, I mentioned to the Realtor that the home smelled bad.
Living with carbon monoxide was not pleasant, or healthy.
Is he selling it to people with small kids?
I had the last furnace replaced for $1500
The first furnace I replaced myself for $500
You know that when something is that old, the entire exchanger is rusting through, right?
Have you ever asked your car mechanic to weld up you aged and rusting tail pipe?
Protect Your Family and Yourself from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Carbon Monoxide Can Be Deadly
You can’t see or smell carbon monoxide, but at high levels it can kill a person in minutes. Carbon monoxide (CO) is produced whenever any fuel such as gas, oil, kerosene, wood, or charcoal is burned. If appliances that burn fuel are maintained and used properly, the amount of CO produced is usually not hazardous. However, if appliances are not working properly or are used incorrectly, dangerous levels of CO can result. Hundreds of people die accidentally every year from CO poisoning caused by malfunctioning or improperly used fuel-burning appliances. Even more die from CO produced by idling cars. Fetuses, infants, elderly people, and people with anemia or with a history of heart or respiratory disease can be especially susceptible. Be safe. Practice the DO’s and DON’Ts of carbon monoxide.CO Poisoning Symptoms
Know the symptoms of CO poisoning. At moderate levels, you or your family can get severe headaches, become dizzy, mentally confused, nauseated, or faint. You can even die if these levels persist for a long time. Low levels can cause shortness of breath, mild nausea, and mild headaches, and may have longer term effects on your health. Since many of these symptoms are similar to those of the flu, food poisoning, or other illnesses, you may not think that CO poisoning could be the cause.