Is It OK to Flush Cleaning Pads?

Users who are viewing this thread

Laikabear

Reaction score
I realize this forum is mostly for toilet performance, but I was wondering what plumbers think of these "flushable" cleaning pads (Scrubbing Bubbles Flushable, and I think there are other brands). Basically, they are a paper product with some cleaner impregnated in them, and about 2" x 2" x 1/2".

Are they likely to cause clogs if actually flushed? It seems like they should be fine, but (correct me if I'm wrong) I think plumbers frown on flushing tampons, which are also OK to flush if you believe the manufacturer.

I use those cleaning pads in my current toilet because I dislike the idea of a reuseable toilet brush, but I'm anticipating possibly needing to clean my new toilet more often due to the small water spot. The pads, while inadequate for a thorough cleaning (they are too soft), are great for quick touch ups.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
manhole.jpg

Sooner or later, whatever goes in the toilet bowl, at some point, that will need to be pumped further down the line.
Public Sewer Systems are loaded with "Pump Stations"

The reason I know this.
My brother in law worked for the City of Bellevue Utility public works.

One of his jobs, was to hop into the pit, wearing a breathing apparatus and remove the bits and pieces that had jammed the pump.
So remember, as you are being so convenient, that sooner then later, someones brother will be hoping into a sewer pit to find what you threw away, and then "He" will put it in the trash for you.
You could save him the trip, and just set it in the waste basket now.

wet-wipes-covid.jpg

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
There is an adage that you should not put anything into the toilet which you did not eat! Reluctantly, the sole exception is made for TP

torontoplumbingguy

Reaction score
That AS Champion 4 that flushes stuffed animals? Well, they only get so far down the line before they get stuck and need the roto router treatment. I can understand why a plumber only flushes toilet paper and now so do we. Just remember that the entire septic line down to the lake is not ceramic and slippery! And remember as well that the PR shots that AS uses, like golf balls and toy soldiers are not shown going through the drains down to the lake. Do yourself a favour and flush reasonable quanities of toilet paper. And if you are Mr. Super Dump, try and flush part way through? I never, personally, want to see the use of a plunger again as long as I live. Our old American Standards were being plunged so regularly we actually had a plunger next to each one in each bathroom!

Nina Moler

Reaction score
Sooner or later, whatever goes in the toilet bowl, at some point, that will need to be pumped further down the line.
Public Sewer Systems are loaded with "Pump Stations"

The reason I know this.
My brother in law worked for the City of Bellevue Utility public works.

One of his jobs, was to hop into the pit, wearing a breathing apparatus and remove the bits and pieces that had jammed the pump.
So remember, as you are being so convenient, that sooner then later, someone brother will be hoping into a sewer pit to find what you threw away, and then "He" will put it in the trash for you.
You could save him the trip, and just set it in the waste basket now.
Because of THIS POST I stopped flushing those things! I nest a section of newspaper in the wastebasket and pop it in there when done. Thank you sir!

Tavette

Reaction score
I just found this forum looking for the answer to whether those cleaning pads really are safe to flush! I do wish I'd thought to check sooner... I surely won't flush them again, though!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks