Can I Tap Into Drain Pipe to Drain Condensate From High Efficiency Furnace

Users who are viewing this thread

oskarjones

Reaction score
I just installed a high efficiency furnace in my unfinished basement. I want to use gravity instead of a pump to drain the condensate produced by the furnace. I have two drain pipes (a 2" and 1 1/2") that travel down the wall behind the furnace and into the concrete slab. I think one drains the washroom and the other a bathroom upstairs. Can I tap into one of these drain pipes with a y then run my condensate line into it? Would I need some kind of a p-trap, venting...The furnace uses 3/4" drain line.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
It is no different than if you were installing a sink at that location. You will need a trap and it must be vented. Instead of a sink you would use a standpipe.

If the sewer ever backs up, it will come out the lowest point in the house, which might then be the standpipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks