Tank Removal

Users who are viewing this thread

mtbe

Reaction score
I have a 1948 toilet (stamped inside tank and lid), I believe is Crane (don't see name anywhere).

The flapper corroded and broke a while ago. Couldn't find a direct replacement, so found another flapper that attached to the overfill tube that seemed to work.

But after a few weeks, I could hear the running of water and could not get the flapper to seal correctly.

I then found that the metal ring that the original flapper would seat against was epoxied onto the drain. And in finding this out, the metal ring/seat came out.

Now, I'm trying to remove the tank to replace the overfill tube, seat, and flapper.

However, I can not get any of this off. The tank does not have the two 'normal' screws that hold tank to the bowl. It is only held on somehow in the center 'drain' hole. There is a bolt in the center of the 'drain' hole that appear to be supporting three 'fingers' that I'm assuming are part of a threaded piece to hold the tank to the bowl.

This house is 107 years old, and I'd like to keep everything if I could.

How do I get these pieces off? I've tried to turn the bolt, but it won't budge (just using a standard lug wrench - but not long enough extension to get the handle out of the tank to turn).

Are their replacement parts for these? Are these tanks or parts made anymore? How do I get them apart?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Are you still driving a 1948 car? Sorry, but I can't understand why you would want to keep a 60+ year old toilet that is causing problems. You are wasting time and money on it not to mention the wasted water. You may or may not find parts for this old beast, but it just isn't worth it. I realize it's awfully easy to advise someone to spend money, but there just is a time that you have to face reality that things are obsolete.

mtbe

Reaction score
It's one of those things: Replace the curtains, then the carpet doesn't match, so have to replace that. Replace the toilet, then have to replace the sink.

It's an old house, professionally decorated (wife), and the toilet and vanity match (before we bought the place).

I also hate to put a whole toilet in the dump (no pun intended), if only one piece is missing. Recycle or fix it. I think it's a shame we throw so much stuff away and just buy new. More of a philosophy.

But, not being able to find a part is a different story.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I'm with Gary on this one. You will drive yourself nuts trying to keep this thing working, and even if you find the right parts, manage to get everything apart and reassembled with breaking the tank, etc. etc., you will be left with a water hog. Right now, water is a more precious commodity than old porcelain so I wouldn't lose much sleep over retiring an old toilet (and have done so myself 4-5 times).

Take a look at the Toto Soiree. It has a neat retro look, works great, has easily obtainable parts if replacement is needed.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Actually, you can't recycle it. These old 5+ gal/flush toilets are illegal to install in new construction, and even for a DIY remodel, I can't imagine anyone would give you $5 for it. I replaced an old AS Cadet a couple of years ago with a Toto Dartmouth. It matches the tub and vanity just fine. I do understand about there never seeming to be an end to things, but this is more of a necessity than for looks.

mtbe

Reaction score
Thanks guys! Didn't realize the difference in gal/flush. That'll add up quicker than a leak ever will.

Thanks again for the advice.

Found one that is a very close match and already installed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks