Want to use sump water for garden watering

Users who are viewing this thread

Scott Home Owner

Reaction score
Hi, and thanks for pondering my question. My summer water bill is astronomical. I'm thinking of installing a pump that will take water from the sump basin and move it to several (connected) 55 gallon plastic drums. Then I can use the collected water for our flower gardens! Brilliant - right?

Well, the total vertical distance (from the bottom of the sump basin to where water would empty into the top of one of the barrels) is about 15'. The distance of the PVC pipe run will be about 50'.

Obviously the sump does not always have water in it, and when the barrels are full the pump should shut off. So, I'm thinking of putting two water level switches (one on each end) so if the barrels can hold more AND if there's water in the sump, the pump will go on!

OK, here's my dilemma - I know too little about pumps and I don't know what specifications my pump should have. Based on what I've read online (and assuming my measurements are correct), I need a pump with greater than 20' of head - right? Then, I envision my pump turning on, the sump basin quicky emptying out, and no water getting to my barrels. (I will install a check valve to assist in this matter).

I thought, maybe I should get a pump that can lift water high and provide low flow.

Obviously I don't know what I'm doing, and maybe (as my wife always tells me), I'm overthinking this.

Do you have any thoughts that might help me?

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
A standard sump pump should work. Had a person use one for years to pump from a water source into a holding tank, pump ran off a little Generator and way 150' or so away from the holding tank and all that was used was a garden hose..

If you put some kind of flow control so that you are only doing say 3 gallons per minute and there is a 50 gallon drum it will take 16 minutes to pump out the water.. if you tie three drums together at the bottom so that the water equals out in the three and you are pulling out of one, the other two will let water flow to the one that you are using..

You are doing a garden... pressure and flow are not that big of a deal, you are just looking at storage and a way of getting that water to the garden..

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks