(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Toto Toilet Flapper Issue

I don't use the in-tank chlorine tablets, and the water is potable, from the city water main. It is supposed to be safe to drink, so I don't think it has anything to do with chlorine, it has to do with rubber being rubber, it is just not suited to this application. Look at the reinforcing ribs they put on the top of the red flapper , I'd bet they knew it wasn't strong enough to begin with and designed them to help it last just past the warranty period. Great way to have you keep in contact with your plumbing professional though, when they're replacing a $10 flapper every 2 years!

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Water can have a fairly high chlorine content and still be potable! Most municipal supplies have some chlorine in them, some much more than others. The use of chlorine cleaning products in the toilet tank typically raise the chlorine levels way beyond what is in the water normally, especially if the toilet is not used often unless it uses an injection type system rather than a 'puck' or similar device that dissolves while sitting in the water.

The flapper valves of my old toilets (not Toto) failed in about the same time, so I can't attribute any unique problems to those supplied by Toto.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

In a similar Seattle neighborhood, we saw a Cadet 3 flapper start to blister in 8 months.

American Standard Cadet 3 Flapper
    The rubber ring gasket which seals the flapper valve had approximately (6) blisters on the sealing side. These blisters were the cause of slow leakage and re-filling of the tank.
    Last edited by Terry; 04-27-2010 at 12:28 PM.

Default Same flapper issue as new2me

My Toto started having the leaking flapper immediately after installed by a professional plumber. I carefully inspected and realized that the flapper would frequently fall slightly off center and then the flapper would deform and allow leaking around the edge. I cut and sized the rigid plastic sleeve to use near the hinges to help the flapper seat more centrally. Now the flapper doesn't seat correctly 1 in 4 flushes and we have to walk back to the toilet to reflush. I contacted Toto and they simply sent a new identical flapper with exactly the same problem -- to soft and deformable. New2me was right, a rigid rubber is needed for this large 3 inch hole that allows the large flapper to collapse and deform. I will try the aftermarket product by Fluidmaster or has Toto really redesigned the flapper since this was purchased 1 1/2 years ago?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

If the flush lever is metal, bend it a little so it is closer to being over the top of the flapper. In my home, the flapper valves (Toto) seem to last about 5-years or so. Same red one. Much of it is the water quality.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Senior Robin Hood Guy Ian Gills's Avatar

Seems like a definite quality control issue to me.

For the price you pay for a Toto, you should be getting more than 2 years out of a flapper.
    Last edited by Ian Gills; 09-07-2010 at 04:47 PM.

Default Korky fixed flapper problem!

I followed new2me's advice and went to Home Depot to buy the aftermarket flapper from Fluidmaster. I could not find that brand, but instead bought this Korky brand. Had same concept of adjustable buoyancy. It works great! No more collapsing into drain hole and persistent leaking. This problem had nothing to do with Chlorine, just bad "soft" design by Toto. They need to hire the Korky manufacturers or perhaps Fluidmaster for their OEM products!! Thank you new2me! Evan
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Senior Robin Hood Guy Ian Gills's Avatar

If it fits the Cadet 3 then it's good by me!

Quote Originally Posted by evanob View Post
    They need to hire the Korky manufacturers or perhaps Fluidmaster for their OEM products!! Thank you new2me! Evan
    Toto does not make the flapper, Korky does, and Korky makes many of their flush valves as well. They aren't in the rubber business, Korky is.
    Jim DeBruycker

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

I got 11 years out of American standard flappers on a few one piece Savoy's. They sent me new flappers and towers for free for the asking. No chlorine here though.

Addatives to the water make a huge difference in how long rubber parts last.
    Jim DeBruycker

DIY Senior Member Runs with bison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jadnashua View Post
    Addatives to the water make a huge difference in how long rubber parts last.
    In chlorinated systems it's been a regular maintenance issue for me. The black rubber ones were the worst, so I went to the higher dollar types and they did okay. Can't remember how many years I was getting on average between swaps. The black ones probably didn't make it 2 years, the others were at least twice as long.

The black rubber simply degrades/decomposes. The carbon black ends up on your hands when you touch them, while the polymer is long gone/blistered/embrittled.

We'll see on these Toto/Korky pink things in the EcoDrakes. The chlorination here seems to be milder than what we had down south, so I expect them to last 5 years or more. We shall see.

hi
    I solved my flapper problem quite easy.I saw that the RED flapper was not seating all the time.The tabs on the tube were too long ,which allowed the flapper to slide.I installed a small rubber grommet on the bowl side of the flapper axle,between the end and flapper.this took the slide out and allowed the flapper to seat properly. toto had sent me a new flapper which didn't solve the issue.i resolved it my self. I should have told them my fix,but i didn't

Lets call it what it is. There's a design defect in some of Toto's toilets and they should do something about it.

I've had a Carrollton for 8 years with no change in the flapper. So it's not a water problem and it's not a flapper problem. I have had a Soiree for about a year and a half. One flapper had to be replaced and a second just started to leak.

The solutions are found on this board. 1. There could be a better flapper. 2. The inside lever should be positioned over the center of the flapper at the factory. 3. The tube tabs should be shortened.

At the prices of these toilets there is no reason that the consumer should be bothered by flappers that are not made to work right from the start and last for years. Its not a flapper problem--it's a Toto problem!

Unhappy 3 Totos and 3 bad flappers

I am buying my third Korky 3-inch replacement flapper for my 3rd Toto toilet. The oldest flapper lasted 3.5 years. The rubber literally seems to have shrunk with the cold water this season and will no longer cover the 3 inch opening even when I adjust by hand. I have turned the water off until I can get a replacement flapper. This really is disappointing. I will look for a different brand toilet for my next purchase.