Should hot and cold pex pipes be separated? Or can they touch?

Users who are viewing this thread

ironspider

Reaction score
Greetings all,

I am installing some pex-a piping and I've got several lines to run through a room about 30'. My plan is to run these pipes through a PVC conduit just to keep them neatly contained and organized.

My question though is whether pex pipe must be kept in a state where the hot and cold don't touch? Or is pex constructed such that if a hot pex pipe was touching a cold pex pipe they wouldn't affect each other enough to be noticeable in any way at the fixtures?

The reason I ask is because I'd like to run ONE pvc conduit through this space and attach it ot the ceiling with some hangers instead of TWO conduits.

But obviously this is out if the pipes touching each other will have a negative impact.

Thanks in advance!

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
If they are touching each other for the better part of the run you could get a heat transfer from the hot to the cold.

John

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks