NEW to the country and a well!! NO CLUE!!!HELP

Users who are viewing this thread

pestario76

Reaction score
ok, am new to the country life.. as an adult..and have a few questions about wells and septic tanks..
1. when we first moved in last Aug 09, the water only smelled coppery when using the hot water.. there was no odor on cold. water is clear with little residue in sinks/toilets/tub. Recently, (the last month or so) I have noticed that the cold water is starting to smell a bit.. a little like rotten eggs or something.. (from main bathroom sink faucet) yes there is rust or iron build up in the bathtub, dishwasher, washing machine. So I clean those with rust and iron removers. which leads me to the second question..
2. I just learned that when the power is off.. dont use the water.. not sure why.. but I just said ok.
how do I clean, maintain the well and septic systems? I am wondering what chemicals I should or shouldnt use to clean my sinks, appliances, tub, toilets, etc.. I dont want to screw up the septic system..I know not to flush hygene products, the water tester guy said NOT to use heavy bleaches down the sink.. no garbage disposals, he even told me not to use antibacterial hand soap.. So I am just curious about what the do's and don'ts are for the well and the septic system..

I realize these questions are kinda vague.. Im very sorry.

hx of house:
between 20-30 years old, at least three different tennants including myself. We are in the process of replacing the water heater and want to install a softener.. but clueless as to what kind of softener to get for a well system..
K.. that was a lot of questions!! Help!!
thanks!!:eek:

LAM

Reaction score
I'll field the easy question: If your power goes down so does your electric well pump. Depending on your tank's capacity and how full it is when the power goes off, you may be able to use a bit of water for drinking, flushing, etc. Or install a backup generator. I have a mild iron problem and have occasionally use Super Iron Out (metabisulphite) to clean toilets if running untreated water. I generally run the water through a softener and that takes care of the iron - again, mine's a minimal problem - and then use the Iron Out according to directions to keep the softener resin bed from undue iron fouling.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You should get the water tested, however if you are getting a sulpher like smell and the other tests come back normal, a simple carbon filter will take the smell out. As for the septic, you can use normal cleaning products. don't pour paint and chemicals down the drain but other than that you should have the septic tank pumped yearly.

Markgc

Reaction score
I have been told not to put sanitary towels down the toilet and not to use a waste disposal in the kitchen.

I had a probelm where my water was acidic and was dissolving my copper pipes. I could tell this by the blue deposits on some of the white sinks and my white clothes started to turn blue in the wash.

I had my water tested by a local plumbing supplier and they recommended an Aqua Pure system. This system removes iron from the water and turns my water slightly alkaline.

I would get your water tested and see what they say. I would get a couple of opinions. You don't have to pay a fortune for these filter systems. Shop around

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks