Range Vent ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Master Brian

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I am trying to plan for a kitchen remodel and I need to figure out a good vent for my range. Problem is the area the range sits is surrounded by windows and no room above to mount a vent, so I'm looking into Pop-ups.

Question is, does anyone recommend a good brand and CFM recommendation? From the research I've done, I see the average cost is about $500-$700 for common name brands that pull about 500cfm. I have also learned that a common problem is that a lot of them will pull fumes away from the heat source.

I am planning on a drop in range w/ cooktop and I plan on building the cabinets 30" deep vs. the standard 24" depth. So I will have plenty of room behind the cooktop/range to do whatever. I have even thought about building something into the wall behind and trimming it out...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Personal opinion, a pop up vent fan and good don't go together. If there's a way to do an overhead one, do that. It depends on what's above. There are some that come down sort of like a cone with the exhaust going up through the middle if you don't have it on an outside wall. Also, if you get one that has enough oomph to acutally do something, the duct needs to be fairly large as well - mine required an 8" round duct. Trying to move lots of air though a small duct gets noisey and inefficient.

Master Brian

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
That's kind of what I have heard, I just can't think of any other good options. This part of the kitchen is a box out, which used to be part of a patio or rear entry. I am in the process of vaulting the roof over this area, to get rid of a low ceiling and add a bit of openess. The range will sit about 6-12" off the side wall, so basically in a corner. There is are windows about 12" off counter top height all around the box out and they go up to where the roof line starts to slope up. Soooo, yes outside wall, easy access to vent, just no where that I can see to place a hood above the cooktop.

Like I said, I am considering my options to build a sort of fixed unit into the wall behine the range, but not sure what I can come up with. I am also thinking of trying to find a high CFM Old style flush mount through the wall unit to help with any exhaust that might linger higher up.

I'll try to post a pic later, I am open for any good ideas that aren't too modern looking.

Thanks for the help....

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, my hood vent is an 800 cfm unit, but it is a variable speed motor. Depends on what you're cooking whether you need to turn it on high. the further away it is from the cooktop, the more cfm you need to pull the stuff, and it does get greasy, so you want decent filters on it to protect the motor and ductwork...nothing worse than a grease fire in the wall or ducts.

To complicate things, I'm tall, and didn't want to be hitting my head on the thing. To solve this, I did two things: raised the counters about 3" (and the range), and put the hood at the maximum allowed height per the manufacturer's specifications. In doing so, I can lean over to the back of the range to check more closely on a pot and not bang my head on the stupid thing. Also, the shorter it is in depth, the more cfm it needs to pull from the front burners, or possibly from stuff leaking around the open oven (say if you were broiling and had the door partly opened). this also means you may need make-up air in the house! But, having an actual vent that works and vents the smoke/smells/vapors, etc. outside is really nice.

Master Brian

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
...nothing worse than a grease fire in the wall or ducts.
Yes, that would be bad. Luckily no matter what I do there won't, or shouldn't, be more than 6-12" of duct work at max.

Also, the shorter it is in depth, the more cfm it needs to pull from the front burners, or possibly from stuff leaking around the open oven (say if you were broiling and had the door partly opened). this also means you may need make-up air in the house! But, having an actual vent that works and vents the smoke/smells/vapors, etc. outside is really nice.
That is part of the reason, I'm kind of leaning towards adding a small flush mounth through the wall unit up on the side wall. The ceiling above the range will be have a beam splitting it from the rest of the kitchen, so having a vent higher up, would get any smoke/smells/etc. out of that space...

I uploaded a couple of pics to show my space, the one shows the right corner, above where the sink will be, but gives an idea of the vault I'll have. The lower 2x4's will be coming out. The other pic shows the corner where the new stove will be placed once the remodel is complete. *note- the stove in the picture isn't where the new stove will be. When I get my new cabinets made, the stove will be 90* from this one and back in the corner centered under the window.

Attachments

• Kitchen 2010 012..jpg
    Kitchen 2010 012..jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 779
  • Kitchen 2010 011..jpg
    Kitchen 2010 011..jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 722

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Do not believe you will find that building code allows the stove under a window.

Looks like you could vent through the roof.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks