Richmond Miser--1989!! want to upgrade..HELP!!

Users who are viewing this thread

pestario76

Reaction score
Ok.. so I am a bit out of the knowledge loop on water heaters and life expectancy of your tank.. I am currently renting a home that is around 20-30 yrs old. I am pretty sure the tank is the original.. its a Richmond Miser model number 5V40-7 40 Gallon 34,000 BTU (gas) and it's "glass lined".
I have been trying to research the water heaters available and found out some very basic stuff..
Like the difference between gas/electric and tankless.. I am pretty sure my tank has the date 1989 on it.. so I am assuming that this is a very outdated product!! IT smells bad (we also have well water not city) and I am going to replace it.. but unsure what the best options are .. I have only been to Home Depot's website to price check and such.. HELP!! I know I want self cleaning.. but since I am renting.. do I get the 6 yr.. 9 yr or 12 yr tank? there isnt much of a price difference. Do the BTU's matter? the ones I saw online were 40,000.. this one is 34,000.. I dont know.. my husband has put me incharge of this project and I just need some sound advice! :eek:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
My mind is racing here, so bear with me-

I have never heard of a rental agreement that would make the renter responsible for the water heater or any plumbing for that matter.

The smell is just as likely coming from the well water and replacing the heater will do nothing to correct it. If you are in some twisted way responsible for the home's plumbing, you might want to have the well water tested to see if water treatment is recommended.

The main benefit to a new heater would be that a replacement heater may be a little bit more energy efficient. If the old heater lasts 5 more years it would not pay for the "upgrade". There is no difference between the 6/9/12 yr tanks except the warranty. The new water heaters on the market tend to last 1/2 as long and have twice the problems that the old heaters did.

Unless you would lose a great deal to damages if your existing tank springs a leak, I would leave it alone.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The Richmond water heater is made by Rheem, which also makes Ruud, GE, Hotpoint, Vanguard, and a couple of others so the HD GE heater is the same heater, although much more modern, as yours. The difference between a 6, 9, and 12 year heater is the price. They are all made at the same time, and the same way. The difference in price is to pay for the extended warranty, not to cover any differences in the heaters. In face, with some companies, you buy the 6 year heater and then pay extra for a tag that changes it to a 9 or 10 year heater. Some new heaters only have a 38,000 btu input, but you would probably not notice any difference.

pestario76

Reaction score
ok. so I know very little about the well water.. except it was tested.. but the landlord never gave us the results.. (typical).. I know what NOT to put into the septic system.. but nothing about a well treatment.. so I will have to research that one .. The reason I want to replace the existing heater is bc we cant keep hot water.. less than six min total in hot water!! Also, the landlord said originally.. orally not written in the lease, that he would replace the water heater ( and a few others ) but has yet to do so.. with that said.., we can deduct the cost of replacing the tank from the rent. My energy bill has gone up quite a bit from the brandnew townhouse we had to the ranch we have now.. Just trying to make things a bit more efficient and warm for us.. thanks!!

pestario76

Reaction score
The Richmond water heater is made by Rheem, which also makes Ruud, GE, Hotpoint, Vanguard, and a couple of others so the HD GE heater is the same heater, although much more modern, as yours. The difference between a 6, 9, and 12 year heater is the price. They are all made at the same time, and the same way. The difference in price is to pay for the extended warranty, not to cover any differences in the heaters. In face, with some companies, you buy the 6 year heater and then pay extra for a tag that changes it to a 9 or 10 year heater. Some new heaters only have a 38,000 btu input, but you would probably not notice any difference.

ok.. so good to know about the manufacturer being Rheem!! And thank you for the difference on the warranties and such!! Thank you so much!! Nice to know when shopping around!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks