New basement bathroom shower Rough-in

Users who are viewing this thread

skier884

Reaction score
Will there be any problems with the photo below.
On the right is a 2in line that is connected to a floor drain on the other side of the wall. This follows onto the main stack which is 4 feet away.
I have the p-trap for the new shower that is connected to the wye that follows on to connect to th 2in line from the floor drain to the main stack. Connected via fernco.
On the left is the vent for the shower that will lead up the wall and is vented via an AAV

Attachments

• bathroom..jpg
    bathroom..jpg
    43 KB · Views: 2,011

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Yes, your horizontal vent is not above the flow line of the drain, and not 6" above the overflow level of the shower, and not at least 42" above the floor, all of which are requirements for a horizontal vent line.

skier884

Reaction score
If i bring the vent pipe up to at least 42" then run it horizontally I should be OK then?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Also note that the AAV, if allowed in your jurisdiction, must remain accessable...it can't be behind a wall unless there is an access panel. It must remain available for service as they do fail eventually.

skier884

Reaction score
My other question would be do I even need a vent since I am so close to the main stack, with only the floor drain on the line with the shower. One issue might be that the laundry drains into the floor drain.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I don't know of anywhere that allows the laundry to drain into a floor drain.
Without a vent the discharge from the laundry will siphon the shower trap.

The vent line cannot run horizontally until it is at least 42" above the floor.
You have it running horizontally below the floor.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote: If i bring the vent pipe up to at least 42" then run it horizontally I should be OK then?

Yes, but how will you get rid of the horizontal pipe out of the "Y" and bring it up vertically?

skier884

Reaction score
If i twist the Y so it has the vent line above the drain line would that correct the problem? If not do you have any suggestions of what would i should do? Thanks for all your help

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks