(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Fleck 5600SE settings

Hybrid View

Default Fleck 5600SE settings

I have a Fleck 5600 SE water softener that I have a few questions about.

When I put it in a few years ago our water came from a different well on the city system. Since we got moved to a new well out water went from 20 grains to 15. Our softener is a 48000 grain capacity unit.

We use about 4000 gallons a month so I set it to regenerate every 2900 gallons used. Did I do the math correctly on that. Is there any harm in having a system that is oversized or will it just regenerate less? Here is my numbers
    130 gpd x 15GPG = 1950
    1950/48000 = 23 days between regeneration
    23 days times water usage of 130 gallons per day = 2990 gallons.

I have noticed before making this adjustment that we still get some etching on our glasses that go through the dishwasher and hard water spots around the sinks. Is this normal even with a softener? The water feels soft still I just wonder if it is supposed to still leave some spots on the fixtures.

Also how high should the water be in the brine tank, the tank is 18x33"? Any advice greatly appreciated. Mike

Have the programing guide for the SE? let me know if you don't.
    here is How I would do the programing with your 2 people and 15 grains.
    12 minute backwash
    60 minute brine/rinse
    6 minute rapid rinse
    6 minutes at .5gpm to give 9 lbs.
    meter for 1800 gallons
    day defalt if wish.. 18 days.

brine tank
    if there is a salt plate at the bottom then water about 2-3 inches above the plate, if no plate the about 6 inches.

I suggest 8 minutes BW
    45 slow rinse/brine draw
    4 Rapid rinse
    3.5 or 4 Refill
    16K and 930 gals
    day 8

If you have a salt grid, don't worry about the height of the water.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Oh ,,, don't worry about the height of the water? what if it is just below the over flow?

Would that not be a problem? or should it be over looked?

If he has a grid, and the water is above the grid and below the overflow, what's to worry about? I guess he wouldn't want to add more salt just yet and he might want to check if he has something wrong, which he would if that level of water isn't normal; otherwise no problem. My point was that he didn't need water above the grid just because he has a grid.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

I just made the changes you suggested. While doing this I noticed a tag near where the drainline connects that says "injector - 1" and "drain flow 2.4gpm" I thought I would post this in case it matters for your calculations.

The water level is about 6" total 3" above the grid. I apologize if this is a double post. My first reply seems to have disappeared.
    Last edited by burleymike; 03-04-2010 at 07:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slusser View Post
    If he has a grid, and the water is above the grid and below the overflow, what's to worry about? I guess he wouldn't want to add more salt just yet and he might want to check if he has something wrong, which he would if that level of water isn't normal; otherwise no problem. My point was that he didn't need water above the grid just because he has a grid.
    With no water above the grid, how will the unit use salt? With the round grids, they have hollow legs which the salt can contact the water, but a square grid, if the water is below it, the salt can not contact the water.