Water Heater Gas Supply Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Molo

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm hoping somebody can tell me the required size natural gas supply line for a 120,000 BTU Boiler and a 40,000 BTU Hot water tank. I'm not certain of the supply pressure, but it is less than a pound. This will be black iron pipe.

Thanks for any replies!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Starting AT THE METER ..3/4" pipe would carry 160,000 BTU not over about 20 feet. 1" pipe would carry it 75 feet or so. If you tee off somewhere, you have to factor in the total BTU load on any leg of the pipe run.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Gas pipe calculations are based on the TOTAL length of the piping to the furthest appliance. Then each section of piping is sized according to the total BTU's of the appliances up to that point. Natural gas is either low pressure, i.e. 6-8 iwc, or medium pressure, 2 psi, and the sizing tables reflect the differences.

Molo

Reaction score
The pressure is approx 7-9 iwc. The water heater (40,000 btu) is right next to the boiler (120,000) and they are about 25 feet from the meter. There is a leg for a gas oven/range that is 15 feet to the side. Here's a rough sketch.

25 feet
meter--------------------------------------------------------------water heater and boiler
gas oven/stove
15 feet to the side

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks