(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 74

Thread: Please help me choose a softener for a well with iron

  1. #46
    DIY Senior Member Bob999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    448

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slusser View Post
    That's your choice Bob but you are wrong. The figures are produced by equipment suppliers for the various sized softeners they sell. The last time I told you that you said you wouldn't use those figures. And here you are again being disagreeable simply to be disagreeable.


    Yes I did because it is for the consumption of members reading this and because when they test their water for hardness the result is converted to gpg if it is not stated as gpg. I've told you that before and here you are going on about all the hardness not being removed because there will be X ppm or mg/l still left in the water and you're pickin' nits because I said "remove all the hardness". If a dealer or service guy shows up to fix a softener, we don't test in ppm or mg/l, we test in gpg and if the test shows 0 gpg of hardness, the water is said to be soft water.

    Bob, even 18 megohm DI water, the purest water that man can make, will still have some hardness in it although I'm not sure anyone can measure that hardness in the field.


    Actually they are correct but you don't believe it.


    Actually Bob Purolite says 1-5 gpm per cuft., any ideas why they have that range?

    You could call Purolite and ask them what the leakage would be for a 1.5 cuft softener at a flow rate of 12 gpm.


    Yes, acceptable water in a residential application. And yes that's what the WQA says as all dealers doing residential softening say. I have been telling you that for months here.


    That's correct, acceptable to any residential customer. I agree that you are unaware of the data. And yes, a 1.5 cuft softener will provide acceptable water quality (0 gpg) in a residential application up to 12 gpm.


    You have never seen me say 8 gpm/cuft anywhere.

    What you don't grasp is that when you make a larger softener, that means it has more resin in a larger diameter and height tank and the resin column is spread out some as opposed to simply adding all the additional resin to the depth of the resin bed. It's the depth of the rsin bed that adds to the constant SFR, not the additional width.

    I'E. a 1 cuft is in a 9" x 48" tank and a 1.5 cuft is in a 10" x 54" tank and a 2.0 cuft is in a 12" x 52" tank etc..

    We see that AKpsdvan says he uses smaller diameter and shorter tanks and simply adds more resin.

    If you follow resin manufacturer's recommendations for a minimum 50% freeboard, he is not allowing that. The 50% means 50% of the bed depth as empty space above the resin level in the tank and is required for proper backwashing of teh resin.

    AKpsdvan then uses a Turbulator distributor tube, which means no gravel underbed can be used, and that means a higher pressure loss across the softener. The Turbulator also requires a higher DLFC gpm be used and that means the water use efficiency of that softener is much less than one without a Turbulator distributor tube. But he does agree with what I've been telling you, he just doesn't think the softener should be sized for the total of all fixtures and I agree and don't size as if all the fixtures were running at once.
    I appreciate your comments but you still haven't answered the basic question: What is the source of data that supports the assertions you have made?.

  2. #47
    Previous member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    North of the Mason dixon Line
    Posts
    1,150

    Default

    The Jones family bought a nice two and a half bath home. They are both in their early 60's. so they need a softener and call around for prices. The Acme Water Co. comes in and seeing as it's just the two people with no kids, he sells them equipment based on what he calculates will be their average water use. A couple years down the road Mr. Jones drops dead of a massive stroke and Mrs. Jones sells the house to the Smith family. The Smith family has 4 kids, 2 of which are teenagers. The smith families water use is 3 times the Jones use. Suddenly the softener is way undersized. That's why we have codes and yes, I do follow them.

  3. #48
    In the Trades Akpsdvan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,471

    Default

    I too would have done the unit for the house and set it up for just the couple , do that all the time....
    There are a few that come to mind that have a system that some would call over kill, but there is only 1 or 2 people there, but the next family might fill every bedroom with 1.5 people....

    Teens,,,, girls or boys.... each one could take the 20 mintue shower....2 times a day..

    So much then for the 60gallons per person per day..................that one is Out the Window ... at mach 3

  4. #49
    Previous member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    North of the Mason dixon Line
    Posts
    1,150

    Default

    Yep and that would be the reason for codes. Now let's just say you are the unlucky guy that sold the undersized on in the first place and your company sticker is on it. And let's say Mr. Smith just happens to be a lawyer and a nasty little FU*(&R at that. Hmmmmmm, don't you wish you had gone by the code now

  5. #50
    DIY Senior Member Bob999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    448

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
    Yep and that would be the reason for codes. Now let's just say you are the unlucky guy that sold the undersized on in the first place and your company sticker is on it. And let's say Mr. Smith just happens to be a lawyer and a nasty little FU*(&R at that. Hmmmmmm, don't you wish you had gone by the code now
    But of course if you sell online from a no fixed address (put your favorite term here) and your goods are drop shipped from a wholesaler so there is no identification on the equipment as to who sold the equipment then it doesn't matter.

  6. #51
    Previous member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    North of the Mason dixon Line
    Posts
    1,150

    Default

    And that will happen, and does happen and that's fine because it's the homeowner taking the liability and responsibility there.

  7. #52
    That's all folks! Gary Slusser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Wherever I park the motorhome.
    Posts
    6,792

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
    The Jones family bought a nice two and a half bath home. They are both in their early 60's. so they need a softener and call around for prices. The Acme Water Co. comes in and seeing as it's just the two people with no kids, he sells them equipment based on what he calculates will be their average water use. A couple years down the road Mr. Jones drops dead of a massive stroke and Mrs. Jones sells the house to the Smith family. The Smith family has 4 kids, 2 of which are teenagers. The smith families water use is 3 times the Jones use. Suddenly the softener is way undersized. That's why we have codes and yes, I do follow them.
    Recalling that just a week or so ago I was being accused of selling over sized softeners... No problem here with the Smiths. Mr Jones has kept the programming information and instructions with the softener (as I've told him to), including my contact info and the Smith family only needs to reprogram for his family of 6. And if Mrs Jones has made Mr Jones throw away the packet of instructions etc., or has done it herself because as women are prone to do, she saw it hadn't been used in awhile, then Mr Smith will get on the internet and nice guys like y'all will help him program it.

    And as I tell my customers, if Mr Smith isn't happy with the softener due to an inspection etc, tell him no problem, you will remove it from the sale and that he can buy one that is satisfactory to him, or not, it's his choice, the same for the carpeting, hardwood flooring etc., etc.. I usually ask the people that call me about a softener if they would buy a vehicle based on the size of the family that might buy the vehicle when they trade or sell it. No one has said yes yet.

    BTW, what size would you sell for the Jones house?
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

  8. #53
    Previous member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    North of the Mason dixon Line
    Posts
    1,150

    Default

    As long as the equipment can be re-programmed to work properly with the increased demand there is no problem. You would have no liability selling the equipment anyway. Only the installer would. I would size it for peak demand of the fixtures served.

  9. #54
    That's all folks! Gary Slusser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Wherever I park the motorhome.
    Posts
    6,792

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
    As long as the equipment can be re-programmed to work properly with the increased demand there is no problem. You would have no liability selling the equipment anyway. Only the installer would. I would size it for peak demand of the fixtures served.
    As you know, a softener can not be reprogrammed for the peak demand gpm that it has to be capable of treating, so what cuft size would that be for this Jones house that you described?
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

  10. #55
    Previous member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    North of the Mason dixon Line
    Posts
    1,150

    Default

    Are you asking the question because you really want an answer or are you just trying to start an agrument?
    Last edited by Peter Griffin; 03-10-2010 at 10:29 AM.

  11. #56
    DIY Junior Member scooby074's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Wow guys,
    quite a discussion since i was last here You guys sure like your softeners lol.

    Many ways to skin a cat i guess. lol.

    I havent had a chance to order my unit yet, but Thanks again for the info.

  12. #57
    Previous member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    North of the Mason dixon Line
    Posts
    1,150

    Default

    Oh yea, I remember you. You were the guy that started this thing

  13. #58
    In the Trades Akpsdvan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,471

    Default

    Yup,,, this thread turned into a bar fight over which truck was better,,, Ford or Chevy or Dodge......

    Even the Cops got called in to break it up.........

  14. #59
    That's all folks! Gary Slusser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Wherever I park the motorhome.
    Posts
    6,792

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
    Are you asking the question because you really want an answer or are you just trying to start an agrument?
    The question I asked, what size softener for your Jones house, has to do with your previous comments and previous replies about what I said about sizing the softener.

    Where's the argument? I simply asked a question about what you have said.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

  15. #60

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akpsdvan View Post
    Yup,,, this thread turned into a bar fight over which truck was better,,, Ford or Chevy or Dodge......

    Even the Cops got called in to break it up.........
    Hey.......We are not going for a Chevy, Ford or Dodge..........We are going for the Toyota.....They give you a ride for your life. LOL

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •