(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Please help me choose a softener for a well with iron

Does not what?
    Handle the flow or the treatment?

Thanks again all.

Im pretty close now to buying and i know i would have made a mistake or spent a ton of cash if it wasnt for you!!

so we narrowed it down to a 1.5 cuft. with standard resin

Will this prevent all staining?\

i should also add a turbiditor (sp?)

and res-up with dispensor.

i dont need a whole house filter. but would it be a good thing to add?\a carbon might make the water taste better?\\

as to the differences in test results, there was very lillte extra water ran from the rep until i took my sample for the lab. maybe 50 gallons. theyre was around 50 gallons ran before the reps test.\ there has been about 500 gallons used since we took possession of the house/

ive decided illl likely buy from these guys as they seem to have the best prices up here when shippings included. http://www.aquatell.com/canada/water...da-45000-grain
    it has a clack head which i want and 1.5 cuft resin. they sell it as a 45k unit. for 759 cad.

would that unit work
    thanks again

i should add: all fixtures wil be low flow. theyre is one full bath and a 1/2 bath.

theyre will be a front load washer and a efficent dish washer as well. i think this should put us under the 12 gpm peak??
    Last edited by scooby074; 03-06-2010 at 12:55 PM.

Previous member

I would not go with a whole house carbon filter unless you have a taste and or odor problem and unless you are willing to maintain it properly. Your selection of the softener though is right on the mark. Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slusser View Post
    Over 12 gpm and the volume of resin doesn't.
    Gary, could you please post some documentation in support of your assertion. If not what is the basis of the assertion--and the fact that you have used it in the past and customers haven't complained is not a reliable basis in my view.

Quote Originally Posted by scooby074 View Post
    Thanks again all.

Im pretty close now to buying and i know i would have made a mistake or spent a ton of cash if it wasnt for you!!

i dont need a whole house filter. but would it be a good thing to add?\a carbon might make the water taste better?\\
    I think your choice will work well for your situation. It should deal with both the iron and manganese (staining) so long as you regularly use a resin cleaner. As I expressed earlier I like Res up and dispenser.

I like turbulators and would put one in the system but not everone would agree with that view.

I agree with Peter's comments about a whole house filter. I would suggest that you install the softener and then see if you have residual taste/odor issues before making your decision.

Thanks again all.

as to the differences in test results, there was very lillte extra water ran from the rep until i took my sample for the lab. maybe 50 gallons. theyre was around 50 gallons ran before the reps test.\ there has been about 500 gallons used since we took possession of the house/

ive decided illl likely buy from these guys as they seem to have the best prices up here when shippings included. http://www.aquatell.com/canada/water...da-45000-grain
    it has a clack head which i want and 1.5 cuft resin. they sell it as a 45k unit. for 759 cad.

would that unit work
    thanks again

i should add: all fixtures wil be low flow. theyre is one full bath and a 1/2 bath.

theyre will be a front load washer and a efficent dish washer as well. i think this should put us under the 12 gpm peak??
    Staining, It will , with salt settings and gallon settings, cleaning settings dialed to your needs.
    Turbo would be a very good idea as it would give an extra to the cleaning cycle and make sure that ALL of the resin gets to spend time at the top of the resin column.

Just put some iron out between the bags of salt and save a piece of equipment and the need for that resin cleaner..

Leave room for a whole house big blue carbon filter, but for now run with out it and see if you need it, if you need it later you can always add it later, but one step at a time...

Your well pump out put is the highest that you are going to hit.. ie if it has a max of 10gpm then that is the best that you would ever be able to do...

Then over the next year or so get a home test kit from a box store or on line and check the untreated water like every 6 months to see if there is any changes to the water , then change the settings on the softener if needed.. and all will be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Akpsdvan View Post
    Does not what?
    Handle the flow or the treatment?
    The resin won't remove all the hardness when the constant SFR gpm of the volume of resin is exceeded.

And I see you are saying that if the pump is a 10 gpm, he can't get more water than 10 gpm.... without knowing a lot about the well etc. that is false.

Here is a pump chart to prove it:
    Name:  pumpchart..jpg
Views: 203
Size:  33.8 KB
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

all fixtures will be low flow. theyre is one full bath and a 1/2 bath. theyre will be a front load washer and a efficient dish washer as well. i think this should put us under the 12 gpm peak??
    Yes a 1.5 cuft IF the number of bathrooms and type of fixtures don't require a higher constant SFR (service flow rating) or you need better salt efficiency. It will remove your 1 ppm of iron etc..

No Turbulator is needed, you don't have enough iron to justify one and if you go with one you can not have a gravel underbed. Without the gravel underbed the pressure loss across the softener is higher than with one.

Carbon is a great place to grow bacteria and you have well water with no disinfection. And so far you haven't mentioned any need for a carbon filter. So get the softener and see how the water tastes, if bad, then buy a 2 stage drinking water filter with an RO long reach swivel faucet installed on the counter.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

While there may not be the iron to justify... the turbutator Will keep the resin cleaner along with using ALL of the resin, unlike the normal dist that will only use 60% of the resin in the life of the system.
    Think of it as an up side down cone.. as the system treats the water the resin close to the dist is the first to get used and works its way down through the system, so that when the unit goes into a cleaning cycle not all of the resin is in need of cleaning there is resin that is still charged..
    With the turbo that is still going to happen, just that still charged resin is going to get worked into the rest of the bed and used in the next cleaning cycle.
    I have seen units with standard dist run out of salt and fall on its face, while units with the turbo run out of salt and while the water is not fully treated , there is still some treatment going on...

The resin won't remove all the hardness when the constant SFR gpm of the volume of resin is exceeded.

And I see you are saying that if the pump is a 10 gpm, he can't get more water than 10 gpm.... without knowing a lot about the well etc. that is false.

Here is a pump chart to prove it:
    Name:  pumpchart..jpg
Views: 203
Size:  33.8 KB
    Thought that we where talking about Peak flow, not constant flow... if I was doing 12 gpm flow 24/7 then it would be either a 2 cubic foot or 2.5 cubic foot and a 1.5 inch valve... and I most likely would dump the turbo because of a max flow of 17gpm. But the sizing of the unit would also have to work with the flow out put of the well pump....... only a fool puts a unit needing 12gpm backwash on a 7gpm well pump.

ill have to try and get the specs on the pump/\ cant say about the depth, but ill guess 60 ft. this is based on opinions from the softener reps.

i can say its a 1/2 hp and its a jet pump. but actual GPM i have no idea.

i wish i could tell you more, but the house was a repo.\il

considering the whole place will be new, low flow fixtures i dont expect to exceed 12 gpm draw.

so the turbo isnt recomended??? i thought it would be cheap insurence if it improved the resin bed operation.

ill pass on the carbon until i know how the water tastes. an undercounter RO might even be a better idea at a later date
    Last edited by scooby074; 03-06-2010 at 02:40 PM.

Previous member

I doubt you will exceed 12 gpm either. I like to run a turbulator for all the reasons AK posted.

ill have to try and get the specs on the pump/\ cant say about the depth, but ill guess 60 ft. this is based on opinions from the softener reps.

i can say its a 1/2 hp and its a jet pump. but actual GPM i have no idea.

i wish i could tell you more, but the house was a repo.\il

considering the whole place will be new, low flow fixtures i dont expect to exceed 12 gpm draw.

so the turbo isnt recomended??? i thought it would be cheap insurence if it improved the resin bed operation.

ill pass on the carbon until i know how the water tastes. an undercounter RO might even be a better idea at a later date
    A 1/2 horse Shallow well pump if the water was 5' down and you did 20PSI you could do 15gpm,,,, but really with what you are doing, where the water is at... you are most likely in the 6gpm range...

Yes the turbo is cheap insurnance and gives better preforance from the resin and salt...

Quote Originally Posted by Akpsdvan View Post
    While there may not be the iron to justify... the turbutator Will keep the resin cleaner along with using ALL of the resin, unlike the normal dist that will only use 60% of the resin in the life of the system.
    Think of it as an up side down cone...
    Yes the upside down cone happens with all softeners that don't have a gravel underbed. Those that do have the gravel underbed don't have that problem.

Yes the upside down cone happens with all softeners that don't have a gravel underbed. Those that do have the gravel underbed don't have that problem.
    Gravel bed or no Gravel bed it is Going to happen...

The path of least resistance is down the center of any unit.