(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Water Softener with RO and Ph (acid) Neutralizer Install Help

Akpsdvan, those Clack valves up there in Alaska that you mention. I can tell you that they aren't my customers and to prove that, you can easily ask your service customer who they bought from.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob999 View Post
    There you go again. The salesman who sells from a mobile home misrepresenting what I posted.
    So now you claim my knowledge is in question because of me living in a mobile home... actually it is a motor home as you know Bob and I and probably a lot of other people think it demeans your position.

And IMO, salesmen know more about this stuff thasn a person that simply owns a softener etc..

If you were to actually read what I posted you would see that I said you posted not knowing the details of THE (emphasis added) installation. I stand by my statement. You posted your criticism before the poster provided the details of his installation.
    Installing a filter and/or water softener is straight simple plumbing. You cut a 4" or larger piece of the main water line out and the feed side end goes to the inlet of the filter, from the outlet to the inlet of the softener and then from the softener's outlet back to to the end of the pipe going to the house.

I note that not withstanding all your blustering you do acknowledge that the application of the Fleck 5600 on the AN filter is within the specs for the Fleck 5600. Given those facts it seems like an appropriate application to me. You certainly haven't explained why a 3/4" valve is an inappropriate choice for the poster and his specific application.
    That's due to you having no experience in servicing that type and size filter with a 5600 Bob, I do have that experience. The 5600 is a bad choice for heavy mineral filters like this 1.5 cuft AN filter, which I already told you that and I told you why it's a bad choice.

And I stand by my statement that I consider your post criticising the posters equipment selection to be rude. The poster never asked for comments on his equipment selection. What he asked for, if you had bothered to read the post, was for "I need some help installing a new water softener, RO system and acid neutralizer. ".
    Well Bob you're repeating yourself and getting emotional while everyone sees your personal attacks on me, including your lying mention of where or how I live etc. etc.. So now you're claiming I didn't read the post! And yet you are going on'n on about what I said about it and how I said it.
    Last edited by Gary Slusser; 03-03-2010 at 08:13 AM.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slusser View Post
    Well Bob you're repeating yourself and getting emotional while everyone sees your personal attacks on me, including your lying mention of where or how I live
    So Gary, I have said that you are a salesman and that you sell from a mobile home with no fixed address. What in that statement are you saying is untrue?

You are a salesman.

As a salesman you sell--if there are buyers.

You live in a mobile home, or motor home, according to the information you post in your avatar.

The mobile home has no fixed address--again based on the information you post in your avatar.

So what do you believe in my statement is a lie?

I think you owe me an apology for your defamatory statement.

Angry

So Gary, I have said that you are a salesman and that you sell from a mobile home with no fixed address. What in that statement are you saying is untrue?

You are a salesman.

As a salesman you sell--if there are buyers.

You live in a mobile home, or motor home, according to the information you post in your avatar.

The mobile home has no fixed address--again based on the information you post in your avatar.

So what do you believe in my statement is a lie?

I think you owe me an apology for your defamatory statement.
    The untrue part, the lie, is that I live in a mobile home.

And now you have compounded your misinformation Bob.

I do have a fixed address, and an avatar is a picture Bob, it has no information in it. I have filled out my Profile here but nowhere in my profile do I say I don't have a fixed address or that I do. I say I live wherever I park the motorhome.

Another thing in my profile is my real name Bob, and the address of my web site where my fixed address and phone number is listed along with a link to 'Where we are' that pinpoints my exact location on a map of north America with the GPS coordinates that are accurate to within 5-10' of actual.

All that while you are anonymous and refuse to say anything about yourself, and especially anything about your experience in water treatment, while you read spec sheets but can't comprehend the full meaning of the information.

You remind me of a number of people that have been banned from here and you are now repeating the same things in your personal attacks that they said. So rather than an apology Bob, I'll simply say that your emotionally driven agenda is causing you to whine too much.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

You remind me of a number of people that have been banned from here and you are now repeating the same things in your personal attacks that they said. So rather than an apology Bob, I'll simply say that your emotionally driven agenda is causing you to whine too much.
    Gary, I have not attacked you and will not be provoked into attacking you--notwithstanding your continuing unfounded statements about me and my knowledge of water treatment. I am specifically referring to this statement: "while you read spec sheets but can't comprehend the full meaning of the information".

As to my statements that you sell from a mobile home--here are dictionary definitions of the terms "mobile" and "home":

mobile–adjective
    1. capable of moving or being moved readily.

home–noun 1. a house, apartment, or other shelter that is the usual residence of a person, family, or household.

These definitons seem to fit your living arrangements.

P.S. here is a definition of avator from Wikipedia that differs a bit from your assertion:

"An avatar is a computer user's representation of himself/herself or alter ego, whether in the form of a three-dimensional model used in computer games,[1] a two-dimensional icon (picture) or a one-dimensional username used on Internet forums and other communities,[2][3] or a text construct found on early systems such as MUDs. It is an object representing the user. The term "avatar" can also refer to the personality connected with the screen name, or handle, of an Internet user.[4] This sense of the word was coined by Neal Stephenson[5] in 1992's Snow Crash who co-opted it from the Sanskrit word avatāra which is a concept similar to that of incarnation."
    Last edited by Bob999; 03-04-2010 at 04:08 PM.

Maybe pictures will help Bob.

Here is a motor home and a mobile home.
    Name:  motorhome..jpg
Views: 290
Size:  36.6 KB

ATTACH]10134[/ATTACH]
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Gary Slusser; 03-05-2010 at 10:42 PM.

It is so good to see that Red Neck is not Just in the South...

And that this thread could be classified as Crashed, Broken, Ended

Maybe pictures will help Bob.

Here is a motor home and a mobile home.
    Name:  motorhome..jpg
Views: 290
Size:  36.6 KB

ATTACH]10134[/ATTACH]
    Gary, it appears that both pictures you posted fall within the definitions I posted.

Previous member

Round these parts we call that bottom picture a trailur

Most of the USA does, except for our Bob here but then he's just trying to be a PITA. Or maybe not and he believes what he is saying.... Like when he tells people to use a 1/2 cup of Iron Out regardless the size of the softener or the amount of iron in the person's water.

Most of the USA does, except for our Bob here but then he's just trying to be a PITA. Or maybe not and he believes what he is saying.... Like when he tells people to use a 1/2 cup of Iron Out regardless the size of the softener or the amount of iron in the person's water.
    There you go again--false statements about my posts. I challenge you to support your statement that "he tells people to use a 1/2 cup of Iron Out regardless the size of the softener or the amount of iron in the person's water". You will not be able to support your statement because it is not something I posted. Perhaps you are having another of your senior moments.

I won't call you a liar for posting false information about me notwithstanding the fact that you have falsely posted that I have lied.

There you go again--false statements about my posts. I challenge you to support your statement that "he tells people to use a 1/2 cup of Iron Out regardless the size of the softener or the amount of iron in the person's water". You will not be able to support your statement because it is not something I posted. Perhaps you are having another of your senior moments.

I won't call you a liar for posting false information about me notwithstanding the fact that you have falsely posted that I have lied.
    Check out your statement in BOLD below. Apology expected. Anyone wanting the URL to the thread can PM me.

Also, the part in red below is incorrect unless the salt dose efficiency calls for that percent of increase, which varies greatly, and you don't know the volume of resin or the salt dose so you can't know the salt efficiency yet.

Your pretending to know this stuff by repeating what you have read me telling people is leading people astray Bob.

http://forum.************.com/water-...-softener.html
    03-01-10, 03:46 PM
    Bob999

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rdn2424
    1. does moderate levels of hardness destroy plumbing over time if a softener is not used?

2. Example, when I program 9 or 10 grains of hardness, basically I am telling my water softener thats how much hardness I have in my water. originally (I am new to water softeners) I thought always put it on 1 grain of hardness, to tell the water softener to make it soft

3. so its ok to switch up my salts? I should use my reg soft pack but once in a while its ok to use other specific salts that remove iron?

Plumbing fixtures and valves will last longer and work better with soft water--the harder the water the greater the improvement.

You should always use salt--sodium chloride is the least expensive and most widely used but some people use potassium chloride to avoid adding sodium to the water. If you do use potassium chloride you will need to increase the amount of salt used by about 30%. I suggested that you periodically--perhaps with every bag of salt--add say 1/2 cup of iron out in with the salt to keep the resin free of iron. Alternatively you could use a salt with the iron removing additive already mixed in with the salt.

Gary,

Your statement that I disputed was: "he tells people to use a 1/2 cup of Iron Out regardless the size of the softener or the amount of iron in the person's water" (emphasis added).

Your showing that I posted a recomendation to use 1/2 cup of Iron Out in one instance does NOT support your statement. So no apology due so far.

Previous member

Name:  catfight..jpg
Views: 247
Size:  17.6 KB

meoooooooooowwwww

Gary,

Your statement that I disputed was: "he tells people to use a 1/2 cup of Iron Out regardless the size of the softener or the amount of iron in the person's water" (emphasis added).

Your showing that I posted a recomendation to use 1/2 cup of Iron Out in one instance does NOT support your statement. So no apology due so far.
    Well I've just reread the entire thread and nowhere is the size of any softener mentioned.

And actually you said "I suggested" but it should be 'I suggest'.

Nowhere does anyone mention the size of any softener.

And the amount of iron the OP showed in a link to his test result was .03 ppm!!

So you have suggested a 1/2 cup of Iron Out without knowing the volume of resin, and for only .03 ppm of iron.

Then you say to add that 1/2 cup of Iron Out with every bag of salt!! which makes your advice even worse.

Your words Bob, just as I said.

Well I've just reread the entire thread and nowhere is the size of any softener mentioned.

And actually you said "I suggested" but it should be 'I suggest'.

Nowhere does anyone mention the size of any softener.

And the amount of iron the OP showed in a link to his test result was .03 ppm!!

So you have suggested a 1/2 cup of Iron Out without knowing the volume of resin, and for only .03 ppm of iron.

Then you say to add that 1/2 cup of Iron Out with every bag of salt!! which makes your advice even worse.

Your words Bob, just as I said.
    I am still looking for the .03ppm Fe....

One thing that has worked for over 20 years is putting in some Iron out between the bags of extra course.. how much? that depends on the amount of Iron in the water and the size of the unit.. Have I messured the amount? no..(.. more like sugar toast if you know what that is... ) any where from a lite coat to a more heavy coat...

Now I use the extra course because if there is a Salt Bridge it is easier to break than the pellet salt.. and there is less binder at the bottom of the brine tank..
    There are any number that I do not add the iron out to, there is no need , the salt and cleaning cycle does what is needed..
    Each case is different again this is not a cookie cutter or one size fits all...