(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112

Thread: Water Softener with RO and Ph (acid) Neutralizer Install Help

Default SST-60 Standard Operating Conditions

Thanks for the follow up Akpsdvan.

I've found the information for the standard operating conditions from Purolite for SST-60 and I'd like to match up as closely as possible. Does that make sense to try to do that?

The Standard Operating Conditions don't match up "1 for 1" with the EE programing so I'm at a loss a little bit. And I still don't get how to control the "salt dose".

Per Purolite

Backwash - 5 to 20 mins (I choose 6 mins)
    Regeneration - 10 mins (Is this my second backwash?)
    Rinse (slow) - 12 to 60 mins (Is this my Regenerate Draw?)
    Rinse (fast) - 6-30 mins (I have this set to 6 mins?)

I'm a little confused on what the lingo is I suppose.
    Last edited by thinkup; 04-29-2010 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thinkup View Post
    Thanks for the follow up Akpsdvan.

I've found the information for the standard operating conditions from Purolite for SST-60 and I'd like to match up as closely as possible. Does that make sense to try to do that?

The Standard Operating Conditions don't match up "1 for 1" with the EE programing so I'm at a loss a little bit. And I still don't get how to control the "salt dose".

Per Purolite

Backwash - 5 to 20 mins (I choose 6 mins)
    Regeneration - 10 mins (Is this my second backwash?)
    Rinse (slow) - 12 to 60 mins (Is this my Regenerate Draw?)
    Rinse (fast) - 6-30 mins (I have this set to 6 mins?)

I'm a little confused on what the lingo is I suppose.
    Part of their numbers are for the different amounts of media.. then the other part of the numbers are for the water quality...

If all that I have is low iron say under 1ppm and hardness then the backwash most likely will be 8-10 minutes, more iron then I will go with 14-16 minutes.
    Regeneration is the brine draw and slow rinse.. that should be 45-60 minutes.
    brine draw and slow rinse are the 2 half's of that part of the cycle , the brine will be pulled till there is no more brine and then finish out that time frame with the slow rinse.

Rapid rinse at 6 should work.

Your learning.....

Ya I feel like I'm still learning and I have it down at a very very high level I think. Funny this when I started this process I didn't even know you used salt with softeners! I grew up in an apartment with no father and was a computer geek. Now I have a home I'm running my electric wire, building walls, doing plumbing and installing things!!

So correct me if I'm wrong. If I take your info then each time my system goes in gen mode (be it weekly, or every 15 days or based on some water amount) the WS1-EE will do the following:

Step one: It will backwash (I have it set for 6 mins and you are suggesting 8-10mins)
    Step two: It will regenerate which is a multi step process. Part one is the "regenerate draw" part two is the "second backwash" and part three is the "rinse". (I have the draw for 60mins, the 2nd wash for 6mins and the rinse for 5mins)
    Step three: It will fill the brine tank back up for x number of mins. I have it set to 7 mins.

But still: how can I calculate my "salt dose"?

Ya I feel like I'm still learning and I have it down at a very very high level I think. Funny this when I started this process I didn't even know you used salt with softeners! I grew up in an apartment with no father and was a computer geek. Now I have a home I'm running my electric wire, building walls, doing plumbing and installing things!!

So correct me if I'm wrong. If I take your info then each time my system goes in gen mode (be it weekly, or every 15 days or based on some water amount) the WS1-EE will do the following:

Step one: It will backwash (I have it set for 6 mins and you are suggesting 8-10mins)
    Step two: It will regenerate which is a multi step process. Part one is the "regenerate draw" part two is the "second backwash" and part three is the "rinse". (I have the draw for 60mins, the 2nd wash for 6mins and the rinse for 5mins)
    Step three: It will fill the brine tank back up for x number of mins. I have it set to 7 mins.

But still: how can I calculate my "salt dose"?
    I just through moving information from one harddrive to another and then moving that harddrive to another computer that is moving faster and better than my old HP... and now I am working on how to get 2 monitors up and running......... joys....

Back to your fun in the sun...
    The clack will do the back wash then move to the brine draw and slow rinse then move the piston to a second back wash and then the rapid rinse and then off to the brine refill.

Salt dose... the 32K is the max on the SST-60 with 15lbs of salt. I would run with 8 lbs of salt , that would let you have a capacity of 25khttp://www.caitechnologies.com/image...pecs/SST60.pdf
    7minutes X ?gpm=?

In the paper work that you got for the unit is there some thing about the brine flow control? .25gpm .50gpm?

If the control is .5gpm then 5 minutes 34 seconds will be realy close to the 8 lbs....
    If at the .5gpm you do 6 minutes that will be 9 lbs..... or just over the 25k on the SST-60

Thanks for all the help Akpsdvan. I'm a computer geek by trade and work at a large housing authority in the IT department by day. I wear many hats there but my day to day office has a nice big three 22" monitor setup on it. If you need any computer advice or help let me know and I'm sure I can set you in the right direction.

As for the salt dose; I read the SST-60 lit and had the same thought that between 8 and 10lbs would be great for me. Using the full 15lbs to get all the way to 32K just seemed like a waste.

In my book I have steps:
    2CT Softening or Filter
    3CT Backwash between 1 and 20 mins
    4CT Regenerate Draw 1 to 99 mins
    5CT Second Backwash 1 to 20 mins
    6CT Rinse 1 to 20 mins
    7CT Fill .1 to 99.0 mins or off. Says the refill flow control is 2.2 gpm or 8.3 lpm. Then says All other valves are shipped from the factory with refill flow of 0.5 gpm or 1.9 lpm.

Does that mean then a setting of 6 mins for step 5CT(Second Backwash) would give me about a 9lbs salt dose?

So:
    2CT = Softening
    3CT(Backwash) = 8 mins
    4CT(Regenerate Draw) = 60 mins
    5CT(Second Backwash) = 6 mins (9lbs salt dose??)
    6CT(Rinse) = 6 mins
    7CT(Fill) = 7 mins

Here is a link to a manual for what I'm looking at. LOL I feel like I just need the answer guide so I can learn backward from it at this point.
    http://www.qualitywatertreatment.com...ice_Manual.pdf

Thanks for all the help Akpsdvan. I'm a computer geek by trade and work at a large housing authority in the IT department by day. I wear many hats there but my day to day office has a nice big three 22" monitor setup on it. If you need any computer advice or help let me know and I'm sure I can set you in the right direction.

As for the salt dose; I read the SST-60 lit and had the same thought that between 8 and 10lbs would be great for me. Using the full 15lbs to get all the way to 32K just seemed like a waste.

In my book I have steps:
    2CT Softening or Filter
    3CT Backwash between 1 and 20 mins
    4CT Regenerate Draw 1 to 99 mins
    5CT Second Backwash 1 to 20 mins
    6CT Rinse 1 to 20 mins
    7CT Fill .1 to 99.0 mins or off. Says the refill flow control is 2.2 gpm or 8.3 lpm. Then says All other valves are shipped from the factory with refill flow of 0.5 gpm or 1.9 lpm.

Does that mean then a setting of 6 mins for step 5CT(Second Backwash) would give me about a 9lbs salt dose?

So:
    2CT = Softening
    3CT(Backwash) = 8 mins
    4CT(Regenerate Draw) = 60 mins
    5CT(Second Backwash) = 6 mins (9lbs salt dose??)
    6CT(Rinse) = 6 mins
    7CT(Fill) = 7 mins

Here is a link to a manual for what I'm looking at. LOL I feel like I just need the answer guide so I can learn backward from it at this point.
    http://www.qualitywatertreatment.com...ice_Manual.pdf
    Even a blind Dog can find a bone from time to time,, and I have the two monitors going........ boy that is a trip to have them going....
    Good up to 5CT that is a back wash and nothing else..
    The 6CT is good..
    Then 7CT is the brine tank refill... at 7 minutes X ?gpm= Salt LBS..
    I have the manual for the EE... most likely if the manual is correct you have the .5gpm...
    so 7 minutes X .5gpm that will give you 3.5 gallons of water, that 3.5 gallons X 3lbs per gallon will give 10.5 lbs of salt.

Ahhhh.

So I had 5CT confused and 7CT.

So is this how it works?

Normally while in service hard water flows down through the resin and then up though the distriuter tube as softwater.

When your capacity runs low you need to regenerate with salty water from the brine tank.

First it switches the flow to have the water go down the tube and up through the resin.

Then it switches to drawing in salty water from the brine tank which goes back to flowing down through the resin and out the drain.

Then once it's done it does an up-flow second backwash and then a downflow fast rinse.

Then it fills the brine tank up with water again which will be your "salt dose" the next time you need to regenerate. If I set that step (7CT) to 6 mins at .5 gpm that will give me 3 gallons of water or 9 salt pounds.

For what it's worth, I put 5 gallons of water in the brine tank when I first filled it with salt. Does that mean my first salt dose will be 15lbs of salt? And won't that kick my float into action to prevent to much water filling it? O man what's going to happen then?!
    Last edited by thinkup; 04-29-2010 at 08:06 PM.

60 minutes on the draw and slow rinse in fine.... no problem there...
    7CT will be filling the salt tank,brine tank time that you set based on refill rate and time needed for 3lbs per gallon of water.