How feasable are these bathroom remodel ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

mhelterbran

Reaction score
We are in the planning process of a master bath remodel, along with a larger addition to our 1994 home. We have a slab foundation in Texas. I am wanting to do the following....would someone let me know how feasable these are in terms of $$s? ($ being no big deal to $$$$ meaning, my husband will veto/bad idea/spend your money on something else) Thanks!!

1. Move sinks from horizontal on the wall to vertical on the adjoining wall. This would involve the sink drain being about 3-5 feet from where it is right now.

2. We have a regular shower head in a regular sized stand up shower. I would like to replace it with one of those really nice full-body shower systems. I've heard they require some changes to the drain....is this the case, and if so, is it cost prohibitive?

3. We have a normal sized jacuzzi tub - and would like to replace it with something that would fit two people in comfort! :p Is it a major ordeal to take out one and replace with another larger one? We have the space, so that is not an ordeal!

Thank you so much for your help!!

Michelle

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The drain for the shower should handle more showerheads if it is the normal 2" drain...if not, then it needs to be replaced, along with the pipe so it is 2" into the main line. Now, if you don't have a large enough supply line (or a sufficiently large hot water heater), the actual spray from multiple showerheads might not please you in eitherstrength or duration. Tub drains often don't end up in exactly the same place, so tearing up the slab is probably going to happen. There is a limit on how far you can go before you also have to move/add the vent lines. Not knowing where these run, you can't really say if that will be a problem or not. So, without knowing your current layout, it will be hard to say. My unprofessional opinion.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Tub for 2 sounds cozy; but, you may have an issue getting enough hot water to fill it. A 40 or 50 gallon tank probably has a hard time filling the jacuzzi you have now, so a larger tank may be in the picture for you.

Kristi

Tradesman Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.prettyplumbing.com
Forget that big hot water heater! If you use gas, then I vote tankless/instantaneous all the way... you'll never run out of hot water again and can fill that multi-person tub until you run out of either cold water or gas. If you use electric, then yeah... big tank :)

mhelterbran

Reaction score
We do have electric!

Kristi -

I've never heard of the tankless/instantaneous heater!! Is this something we would get to replace our hot water heater? Is there a model/brand you would recommend? Thanks!!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Personally, I don't recommend tankless when tubs are involved. It is true it will not run out of hot, but you have to get a very large heater to fill a tub in any reasonable time.

Some of the major brands are Bosch, Tagachi, Rennai, Noritz. There is a ton of info available on the net, including on this forum. A search will get you there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks