(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Laundry Remodel - Dry Fit - Help?!

Laundry sink with or without cabinet ~ 14"-16" from floor to centre in my neck of the woods

DIY Junior Member

Default Correct PVC Cement?!

Hey guys,

I used purple Oatey PVC primer when applying PVC cement to my drain pipes. I now found out the cement I used may have not been the best for PVC Drains.

I used Oatey All-Purpose Cement and some Carlon PVC Cement (typically used with conduit). I figured it would not matter considering they are both for PVC, everything was primed and clean, I applied it liberally, and all joints are very stout.

Please tell me that I don't need to rip out my work because this will cause problems later?! I know that I should probably have used Oatey PVC Cement (PVC Specific) only with purple primer.

I checked the ingredients and there is very little variation between the different types of cement.

Thanks for any advice and sorry to be such a noob.

In all likelyhood, it probably will not make a big difference, but then again, I have never tried that

You have it backwards. If the sink were below the washer, the bornelli effect could cause a siphon on the sink drain, so IT would need the secondary "revent". With the washer on the bottom there is no such action so the vent is not needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alton.cedric View Post
    For sure you need ventiliation. But could be the wrong type of paint was used, latex on top of an oil based, but you use oil base on top of latex, always.
    Put the pipe down. This is a thread about pvc glue. For your post, you can use latex over oil if you clean the surface with TSP or sand first. A coat of primer and latex will be ok to top it off.