(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Laundry Remodel - Dry Fit - Help?!

Hybrid View

DIY Junior Member

Default Laundry Remodel - Dry Fit - Help?!

Hey guys, I just dry fit my plumbing drains for our laundry room remodel. If you could check the attached picture of my work it would be greatly appreciated. The setup is going to be washer, dryer, sink, from left to right. The only snag (well not the only one..but) I ran into was having to shift the drain vent over to dodge the dryer vent (since it was already cut into the brick). Disregard the hot and cold supply lines, they are being moved.

It is just a dry fit so I know the pitch and plumb in the picture is not perfect. Thanks for any help and advice you can give, you all have always been helpful.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Where the 2 vents attach together is way to low. Attach the y vent at 42" off the floor and your good to go

Test, Don't Guess! cacher_chick's Avatar

I'm not sure how you plan on finishing the wall but the foamboard must be covered by a minimum of 1/2" drywall. You cannot leave extruded foam exposed because it is a fire/smoke hazard.

That being said, your DVW will need to be shifted outward from the present wall. Given the need for plumbing and electrical installation, a full frame wall is recommended here.
    Last edited by cacher_chick; 02-26-2010 at 02:51 PM.

DIY Junior Member

'm not sure how you plan on finishing the wall but the foamboard must be covered by a minimum of 1/2" drywall. You cannot leave extruded foam exposed because it is a fire/smoke hazard.

That being said, your DVW will need to be shifted outward from the present wall. Given the need for plumbing and electrical installation, a full frame wall is recommended here.
    I am planning on framing a full 2x4 wall and drywalling. I just wanted to get my pipe dry fit right first. Thanks for the help.

DIY Junior Member

Where the 2 vents attach together is way to low. Attach the y vent at 42" off the floor and your good to go
    What do you think the best way to do that is? I need to dodge the dryer vent which is "inconveniently" located directly above vent/main drain. Should I loop the vents around the dryer vent (effectively encircling it) or swing them to the left (possibly moving my combo further left toward the washing machine trap)?

Also, just curious, why does the y vent need to be attached at least 42" off of the floor?

Thanks for the help!

If one side backs up, you don't want the water to go down the other side of the vent. You will never know it is plugged

Yours will work too

DIY Junior Member

Superb! Thanks for your help krow!

You could replace that san tee with a long sweep elbow and take the vent off before the elbow. Run the vent up on the other side of the dryer vent and then tie it back in at 42" or so.

DIY Junior Member

Would this work? Use your imagination and pretend that there is pipe between the fittings I taped up.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Alton.cedric View Post
    For sure you need ventiliation. But could be the wrong type of paint was used, latex on top of an oil based, but you use oil base on top of latex, always.
    Put the pipe down. This is a thread about pvc glue. For your post, you can use latex over oil if you clean the surface with TSP or sand first. A coat of primer and latex will be ok to top it off.