Does anode work if broken from tank top?

Users who are viewing this thread

CHRPC78

Reaction score
When I cleaned lime/calcium from bottom of 58 gal tank, I saw a long section of anode laying at a 45 degree angle crossways on the tank bottom with a very small "ferrous" wire still attached that was vertical up toward the top of the tank. I assume that the anode is still "grounded" to the tank body but I am not sure.

In any case, does anyone know if the anode will still work if it is not attached, that is if it is broken off and fully disconnected from the tank wall?? Do I need to try to retreive broken anode? Is there any other problem with this situation?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
No it needs to be connected to the tank. The protection the anode affords is electrical in nature and the anode must be electrically connected to the tank itself.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks